Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: 3 NEW Gear Reviews- Instant read thermometer, Camp Chef Grill/Griddle, and Masterbuilt XL Gas Smoker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: 3 NEW Gear Reviews- Instant read thermometer, Camp Chef Grill/Griddle, and Masterbuilt XL Gas Smoker!

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that will end up on the free site BEFORE it gets shared with the public! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

$20 ThermoPro TP-18 Instant Read Thermometer, by Bill McGrath
    https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...mometer-review

Click image for larger version  Name:	thpr_tp-18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	10.5 KB ID:	589451

Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 600, by Max Good
    https://amazingribs.com/grill-griddl...ill-600-review

Click image for larger version  Name:	camp-chef-flat-top-600-breakfast-600pix.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	589452Click image for larger version  Name:	camp-chef-flat-top-600-feast-600pix.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.6 KB ID:	589453

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker, by Max Good
    https://amazingribs.com/smoker/maste...-smoker-review

Click image for larger version  Name:	masterbuilt-mps-340g-thermotemp-xl-propane-smoker.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	589454

I wish my Blackstone was dual purpose, but I'm not telling my wife. That's so I can get a gasser!

Comment

So is the Camp Chef better than Blackstone?

Comment

• GrillGrate Michael
        GrillGrate Michael commented
        Editing a comment
        The performance as a griddle is about the same but the versatility of the Camp Chef at this price point makes it a no brainer IMO

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends, I guess. I already have a gasser, so I don't need that dual capability. They both are good as a griddle, so when I get a chance (permission) to get one, it will probably come down to price and availability.

What kind of surface temps can you get out of something like a Blackstone or Camp Chef? Is the top cast iron or aluminum? I have a lot of smash burger requests, so I am thinking of investing. Something that doubles as a grill would be even better.

Comment

• Kevin Fuess
        Kevin Fuess commented
        Editing a comment
        The top on the Camp Chef is heavy steel. I don't know what temp it tops out at, but I usually start cooking around 450F

I have the Camp Chef Pro 90X 3 burner camp stove and bought the separate griddles for it. One is 24" the other 12" for a total of 36" of griddle space. I bought it primarily because of the excellent portability it offers over a dedicated flat top. I can easily break it down and load it into the RV for camping trips.

The versatility is also very impressive as it can also be a 3 burner stove for boiling water for sweet corn or whatever else you may need a stove for. Or a combination of a griddle/stove. I just love the thing.

Camp Chef customer service is top shelf but I've also heard Blackstone is very good.

Comment

I am liking that camp chef. I don't have a gasser, and I have a rv like Frozen Smoke that I can use it on. I am not that in love with the Traeger Scout we have; I could probably trade that for this and a smokey joe...

Thy name is MCS...

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Frozen Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep in mind klflowers that if you want the portability you need to go with the camp stove/griddle set up like I did the dedicated flat tops aren't really made for portability.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Frozen Smoke, that is what I had in mind.

Originally posted by JGo37 View Post
        I wish my Blackstone was dual purpose, but I'm not telling my wife. That's so I can get a gasser!
        Worth considerin, is Blackstone offers a grill top accessory fer their 36"; haven't checked in other sizes, since th 36" is what I own...

Price ain't too prohibitive, either...

Please remember to use th AR Link, when shoppin on Amazon.

Comment

Personally, while the Camp Chef is dual purpose, and can double as a gasser, more often than not, when you are using a gas grill, you need to close the lid while cooking for heat retention. You don't have all over consistent heat with the lid open on the typical gas grill, and lose a lot of heat. That old axion "if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'" in my mind holds somewhat true for gas grills. In other words, I feel that it will be great as a griddle, but more mediocre as a grill due to lack of a lid. That said, if you don't have a gas grill, it is certainly going to be a million times better than not having one.

About the only time I use my Weber Genesis with the lid open is when making smash burgers, using upside down Grillgrates as a griddle, and I close the lid when melting the cheese after flipping the burgers.

Just my 2 cents. I'll look hard at the Camp Chef if I decide to get a dedicated griddle, and do like the way it breaks down for storage versus the Blackstone. I am not sure I like the grease management as well as the Blackstone however.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I figure I can improvise a cover. I doubt if I would be doing any low n slow type cooks on it anyway.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here