Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: Best Knife Sharpeners Tested, Rated and Reviewed! by Rick Browne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brave. People seem pretty polarized about sharpeners.

Comment

The link for the AG Russell goes to a quick order page at their site. I think this link would work better:
      https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russ...harpener--CS94

Nice article. Appreciate the variety of cutting tests. Was recently with my brother and his wife, both CIA graduates who maintain their knives as trained chefs should, and was impressed by their knife skills and knives... they are disgusted with their skills as they have both deteriorated since their last kitchen jobs.
      Last edited by Potkettleblack; April 30, 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Took a few seconds to realize which CIA you meant!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's really one organization. I mean, knife skills translate.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

What about sharpening steels? Is there any difference between them or is one just as good as the next? I need to buy one form my new knife set coming.

Comment

Disappointing that you didn't review the Lanky knife sharpening system. Quick, easy, intuitive and professional results for an economical price ... and I am not a handy fellow .

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a long list they didn’t look at. I never liked the lansky as it was just a pain to set up.
          I like the worksharp belt sander types for reprofiling and the spyderco sharpmaker rod system for maintenance/finishing (has a scissors angle and triangular rods so you can actually sharpen the teeth in serrated blades and sharpen hooks and use it as a flat bench stone)

Also there’s edge pro etc

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been wanting a high end sharpening system for a long time. The Spyderco looks nice, not the very top, but should do a good job.

The V-Sharp, made by Warthog Sharpeners, is going out of business due to customer complaints.

Comment

Cool review, thanks! I just sharpened ours on Saturday afternoon using our Chefs Choice 1520. I should grab a tomato I guess, but I "test" by holding a paper towel in one hand and brushing up against the flimsy edge with the sharpened knife to see if it cuts - if not, it gets honed a few more times. I have to admit I only do this twice a year (and I warn the wife & kid when its been done)!
          Attached Files

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            An earlier version, which I use and like, was rated top electric sharpener by Cook's Illustrated a year or two ago. It only has one angle setting (15 degrees), while yours has 2.

Ha, what a timely review. I have some nice knives but they need some reworking. I’ve been skeptical of electric sharpeners but I am probably going to give the 120 or 112 (costco) a chance.

I noticed on amazon chefs choice model XV gets slightly better user reviews than the 120. But it appears to put a 15degree edge on everything instead of 20 which makes me a touch nervous. My knives are European/20 degree. Does anyone have experience with the XV?

Comment

Thanks for the review. I started looking at sharpeners a few months ago and felt a bit overwhelmed. As RobertC said, lots of strong opinions out there.

Comment

FWIW, I've used Chef's Choice sharpeners for about 20 years. I even gave away my steel and ceramic "honers" years ago when I did a side by side of the #3 slot on the CC. I do have a rat tail file set I use for serrateds about every three years whether they need honing or not.

EDIT - Oh, yeah - my wife DEMANDS that I sharpen/hone her knives regularly and finds the CC edges "acceptable". It saves me having to drive 50 minutes round trip to a professional knife sharpener downtown. I can't go in there without coveting the $200 knives he has.
              Last edited by Harry; May 5, 2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Are there any reviews on electric meat slicers?

Comment

Thanks Rick! I was given a Chef's Choice years ago and I always thought it was ok, but now you've validated it. See you soon.

Comment

Great write up! You mention metal particle buildup on the sharpeners, how about the sharpened knives, is a "thorough" knife rinsing required after sharpening? Intuitively, I always thought so but don’t remember seeing it advised.

Comment

Well written

Comment

I’m eyeing a belt based sharpener called Workshop Ken Onion edition. Anyone use this?

Comment

• JakeT
                          JakeT commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Interested to see if anyone has one, I've been eyeing that for a while now too. The pre-angled sharpeners I feel just screw up anything with a Japanese angle on it.

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've read enthusiastic reviews from owners on another forum. Don't have one - I have a Chef's Choice, the one with the 15 degree V grind. It works fine for all of my knives, including the couple of Shuns.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here