Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: 3 MORE New Recipes! - Triple C Beef Ribs, Smoked Pimento Cheese Burger, Sous-Vide-Que Brisket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: 3 MORE New Recipes! - Triple C Beef Ribs, Smoked Pimento Cheese Burger, Sous-Vide-Que Brisket!

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that will end up on the free site BEFORE it gets published there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Smoked Pimento Cheese Burger
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-burger-recipe

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-pimento-cheese-burger-recipe.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	449461

Smoked Sous-Vide-Que Brisket
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brisket-recipe

Click image for larger version  Name:	sous-vide-and-smoked-bbq-brisket.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	449460

Live Fire Smoked Triple C Beef Ribs
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ef-ribs-recipe

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-bbq-beef-ribs.jpg Views:	1 Size:	303.4 KB ID:	449462

Thanks, very much appreciated!

Comment

Will have to try the beef back ribs.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Looked good to me too!

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Thanx!

Comment

Mmmm, thanks.

Comment

I'm trying to go all of February without posting needless negative comments... it's not going to be easy.

I'm sure that sous-vide-q brisket will be fine.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You know how there's 50 ways to skin a cat? Same with brisket. Maybe not 50, but many more than 1 way.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Let’s just say, there are some methods that are simpler and there are some methods that will produce a superior result and some methods that will produce a more interesting result. This one is towards the simple end.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Since I’m trying to be less of a mean jerk, the beef ribs sound worth doing.

I agree with DW... the beef ribs sound interesting.

Comment

Here’s what I came up with after listening to PKBs interview. With another twist in step 8 which is part of my standard brisket cook.

The goal is to render it completely tender by breaking down collagen over 72 hours and not going above 135 means the meat fibers are actually not overcooked as in traditional, so between saving the purge juices and not overcooking the meat fibers there is little chance of it being dry. At 135 you need that time to get the collagen conversion.

Secondarily the addition of an up front smoke means you are smoking cold, wet meat twice. I find that this makes a difference also.

The PKB genius is the 350F finish which avoids any stall and sets the bark before the meat can get above 135.

I plan on using this for flats even if I do points traditionally.

So, double smoke from cold, completely tender, very juicy.

No cambro hold required as in traditional either since you took care of the tenderness with the SV step.

Give it it a shot and see what you think.

1. Dry brine plus BBBR 24 hours ahead ( I’m lazy so I just throw the rub on on top of the salt layer. One step.) (you can put the rub (or extra) on after the SV, I haven’t noticed that this is necessary as it seems to stick well anyway)
            2. Smoke at 225F until about 130F IT
            3. Bag the meat, vacuum seal
            4. Cook in sous vide at 135F for 72 hours
            5. Ice bath and put in fridge.
            6. A couple hours ahead of dinner, unbag and save all the purge
            7. smoke at 350F to avoid the stall until an IT of 135F ( 350 hardens/dries the bark and you don’t need a stall because the time in SV took care of the collagen breakdown)
            8. (Optional) Heat previously trimmed and rendered brisket fat to 375-400F and pour over brisket (safely, outside) right before service.
            9. Remove the meat. Heat the purge and pour over meat after slicing.

A variant on chuckies:
            https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie

Comment

Clint Cantwell

Kenji does not take his low temp sous vide far enough. This is one of several things he does with sous vide that make me view him as Bane views Batman, with Sous Vide being the darkness.

​

Kenji is adopted, and well adapted, but some of us live Sous Vide.

I think your process is fine. It's a Sous-Vide-Que process. That's fine. It will produce a workable product that conforms to competitive BBQ standards, maybe a bit light on the smoke flavor. Lower temp and QVQ opens more possibility beyond conformation to a traditional standard.

https://lipavi.com/recipe/a-tale-of-...-b-q-solution/

Yours is St. Helens. It's perfectly valid. It produces a nice traditional brisket. Tasty. Brisket. No explanation necessary. Based on Doctor Blonder's work with smoke adherence, occasionally, it's going to produce a brisket without as much smoke flavor, so a couple drops of liquid smoke in the bag aren't gonna be a bad idea. And the bark might be a little light or poorly affixed, but easily fixed with a binder... I prefer beaten egg white. Nigh flavorless, sticky AF, and when you do it right, both improving crispness and invisible.

My experience is that a superior experience can be had by imitating the Painted Hills brisket at my link. For one, we don't have to process for well done. Higher heat = more moisture extraction, dryer meat. Longer process, too, but slower, because we're not contracting the meat fibers as much. So, the reason you do 155 instead of 190 is that, but what if I told you, you could go 135* and have medium rare brisket, with that same probe tender jiggle and the same smoke flavor and bark you get from long smoking and cambroing. You could do QvQ with 155*F for better bark and better smoke, but SvQ is fine. You could go lower and longer on SvQ and get better smoke adherence. As Husky said, there are a lotta different ways to skin a dog (I'm a cat person and I'm not down with this phrase at all). All of em end up with a skinned dog. Some come up with a better dogskin.

I believe the phrase is "Pics or it didn't happen"
            Post sous vide, on the grill, smokin' hot.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3603.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	451816

I'm sure this would lose me any competition, just on appearance, but will win for anyone who doesn't have a dogmatic idea of what brisket should be and is open to all it could be.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3604.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	451817

As it's just me and the wife, brisket is maybe a 1 time a year thing, because it's a lot of meat to plow through, and I'm not paying for a butchered piece, as that drives price through the roof. I'm an MBA at the end of the day, so cost has to make sense, always. I do more chuckies, because they're more rationally sized for a two person household and don't involve a costco trip.

I want to emphasize, at the end of the day, everyone has made a nice sous vide synergy brisket here. You, me, folks who have smoked, soused and served. But as I say, the magic of sous vide is doing things that you can't do any other way. MR Brisket is one of those things.

Back to lurking for my own sanity.
            Last edited by Potkettleblack; February 8, 2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I have done it on chuckies as in my link. Kenji did 36 hours at 135, but I can attest that 72 will allow you to pull chuckies, so you can achieve collagen breakdown w/o overcooking. A pulled chuck that never went above 135 is pretty neat.

Did this process on some store-cured corned beef (attached pic) for pastrami. Juciest I've ever had and good smoke flavor.

I have another brisket flat (corned myself) going through this process now, problem with these QVQ variations if you can't do all the permutations because you'd need a lot of briskets and a lot of time to test them all. I like this method a lot.

I've been messing with flats mostly because the other half of the packer I've been running traditional and the flat is the part i'm always disappointed in, up till now. It's so good, that the entire next packer will get this treatment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3570.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	451823

Comment

Those beef back ribs are really close to what I do. I use a chili heavy rub (chipotle and ancho) with salt, black pepper, coffee, and some white sugar. The coco powder is new to me. I may try it out.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E41C78E-AECC-4E7B-9079-E3E82E28BB61.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	452070 Same QVQ process on a home cured brisket flat.

Comment

I love pimento cheese burgers. I’d like to offer one suggestion, though: Ditch the jarred pimentos and buy fresh pimento chili peppers. Roast them on your grill or gas stove like any other pepper, then peel off the skin and dice. Fire-roasted pimentos are easy and they raise pimento cheese to the next level.

Comment

I tried the SVQ brisket. Did a whole packer and split the point and flat. I have to say I did like the tenderness while maintaining the meat’s structure. I felt like it could have used more time on the grill at the end. I completely cooled the meat then did 1 hour in offset PK setup (to 145 internal) and didnt get much bark. That said: the wife and daughter didn’t complain. Made an excellent valentines dinner.

Comment

Welcome TheESJ

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here