Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: 3 New Recipes- Venison Ribs w/ Coffee Rub, Sous-Vide-Que Butter-Poached Bison Ribeye, Sous-Vide-Que Pork Belly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, it was the realization that sous vide (which is not new, just newly popular) is naturally harmonious with bbq that got me interested in it. From my perspective it is just another "low and slow" cooking technique, with strengths and weaknesses like any other.

Comment

I just got the marinade put together. I am going to throw the pork belly in the bath at 6 AM, for smoking at 6 PM Friday night. I can already smell that this is going to be a good one. I think I am going to load the smoke pot or the KBQ up with cherry wood to throw on some smoke.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, If You Would Have Posted the Recipe I Would Have Figured That Out❓ 👍 🤗 😇 🤗 Tee Hee T . . He . . .‼️ Have I "P'dY'O Yet❓❓ Dan

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan, The recipe I am doing is the one above. ^^^^^ Danjohnston949

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking the KBQ followed by the top of the firebox sear.

Clint Cantwell , thanks for the info. As I said I'm not completely opposed to it... It just seems like the flood of SV stuff has been coming hard and fast over the last year (not just in the main site but in the pit as well). As much as I love eating Q I even more so enjoy making it and just don't want to see the art, skill, and heritage of live fire cooking lost, forgotten, or replaced with "I've got and app for that" (especially on this site). I know some argue that the texture, tenderness, etc... may be so much better with SV... but it just isn't as fun. I get that not all the tools and cookers we use today are 100% pure (with the exception of Jon Solberg and his anti-cooker) and that times and technologies will always change... but come on.... learning how to master and manage a live fire cook really is fun and something to be respected.

I like that you are wanting feedback from the pit about what else to possibly write on... maybe that would be a good thread to start.... a plethora of things come to mind when I think about what else would be good to see such as live fire cooking for: wild game, campfire cooking, fresh veggies out of the garden, more sides, outdoor dutch oven, soups stews and chili, chuck wagon cooking, multi day smoke and salt curing of a whole hog (old smoke house stuff), etc.. ... heck my in laws make apple butter, pumpkin butter, veggie soup, etc... in a copper kettle over open fire and then can it....

i guess my point is don't forget those of us who enjoy, for lack of a better word, traditional wood burning cookers as you all run into the new age of cooking.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        SV cooking maybe just a fad, who knows at this stage. If it makes for better BBQ I am all for it.
        Still, I would rather sit around a camp fire or stick burner drinking a beer than next to a water heater and plastic bag. I build about 150 large stick burners a year, but am not opposed to SV. You are right , we need to propose more ideas for the Amazing ribs team to work on.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good points, both! I have to say though, that I don't sit around watching the SV machine. I save that for later.

Great stuff Nate and quite a few things that I have on my "to do" list. Our primary goal is to grow the already amazing collection of recipes on the site exponentially while hopefully expanding readers cooking repertoires and skill bases.Some of that includes introducing different ingredients to classics (instead of traditional smoked wings we just did one using miso); some are twists on favorites that you may not have thought to add smoke to (grilled guacamole or smoking your own olive oil); and some are simply recipes or techniques that we haven't yet covered (like all of the recent game recipes or your suggestion for campfire cooking). As for sous-vide-que (i.e. introducing a smoking or grilling element to the sous vide trend), it's just another effort to always be your "go-to" authority when it comes to live fire cooking and to lead trends versus chasing them. That said, I'm personally working on several things now that don't step anywhere near a water bath. For example, we just launched a "burger of the month series" which will have some really fun twists to a classic!

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info Clint! Much appreciated and I was glad to see the venison ribs recipe as well.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        For all the nitpicking, I hope you understand that I respect your work, immensely.

Clint Cantwell So where do we propose new recipes and cooking methods? Meathead said he was working on different BBQ styles from around the world a couple of years back, but I have not seen much. I can help with the traditional Argentine asado.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And I think a lot of us would like to learn more about that! My boss did a vacation down there two years ago, and I sent him some pics from one of your "cook-outs", and suggested he needed to look for it!

But you know how bosses can be.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, We don't mess around. A lot of animals go feet up in the making of an asado.

• Clint Cantwell
        Clint Cantwell commented
        Editing a comment
        Feel free to come to me. International grilling has definitely been on my must do list for a while; just need to get through some other stuff first. I actually went to South Africa a few months back to learn about braai but haven't had a chance to do anything.

Potkettleblack It's all good in the grillin' hood!

Comment

I can't access any of these recipe links. Every single one opens a new page/tab, with a "Members-only" warning box. (I'm already logged in).
        I click on the "login" button where hopefully it will clear, it opens another new page/tab, with a notice that I'm already logged in, and redirects me to the member forum home page. Every browser I've tried. Mobile: chrome or firefox. Chromebook. Windows 10, Chrome/Firefox.

Comment

• NoFatNoFlavor
          NoFatNoFlavor commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd already tried all of that, 'Dogs, and no luck.
          I cannot fathom why, yet it persists. It's driving me nuts.
          (I know my way around this stuff too, BTW. 25 years in IT, long time sysadmin now cloud architecture).

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          gotcha, that's a strange one... I assume you tried on a different device as well?

• NoFatNoFlavor
          NoFatNoFlavor commented
          Editing a comment
          Tried on a Windows 10 laptop, iPhone, Chromebook.
          Cleared the cookies and cached content on all three, same result!
          I think I just need to wait until this awful year is behind us.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here