Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak peek: New Article- The Rib Cap, the Best Cut on the Steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak peek: New Article- The Rib Cap, the Best Cut on the Steer

The Rib Cap, the Best Cut on the Steer - https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...best-cut-steer

Click image for larger version

Name:	spinalis2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	436526

Agree 100%

Comment

When I first read the title I wondered what are we getting into now, Rib Carp. Then I reread it it & saw the pic. So, the conclusion is, never mind.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, Carp ribs are small so would cook quickly.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Or maybe he is interested in this article but hesitatied because he doesn’t give a carp vs a rip.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad it didn't read rib crap.

I always cut off the bones and I noticed that even though the cap gets more cooked, it is still tender and tastier. Going to have to try separated now.

Comment

Nice write up Meathead I’ve Taken the rib cap off a few times myself. Although it gives you a really nice flavorful and fatty steak. It does leave you with a much smaller eye of rib roast. So you do need to buy a much larger roast. But I guess that would also depend on how many people you are serving.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes but then more rib bones and cap for the cook.

There’s that third muscle, it’s a little circle on the bottom left of the roast in the photo. That’s pretty damn good, too. And the tail, that was cut off on the lower left, the part that isn’t fat is also awesome.

Just sayin’.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          As usual, you are right!

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          I call it the "Frenchie" When they French the bones, they throw away the most prized part!

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          My daughter lives in Chile, she is constantly taking photos of strange cuts she sees in the supermarket and asking me what they are. I’m pretty good with my lomos and postas. That’s where I first saw a ribeye cap.

That's an entirely new cut now in Costco. And other places as they figure what to do with their new found loot!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          They like their cut meat profits don't they. Fast forward 20 years and stores will sell ribeyes, filets & such all in pre-cut bites. $3 each. An entire steak worth for $65.

This is bliss!

although as the masses start to figure this stuff out it ruins it for the rest of us with increased prices, scarcity of product, and now I’m worried about ribeye.... every restaurant will eventually start serving these as separate cuts and charging a premium for it....
        Last edited by Nate; January 8, 2018, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Agree, when I'm buying, Not knowing there was a name for this, I always dig through, the pile of ribeye's to find the one with the largest. Cap, some are very small.

Comment

I did a wagyu cap from SRF for new years eve. Awesome cut, but yes its a lot of money for less than 2lbs of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              The Rib Cap, the Best Cut on the Steer - https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...best-cut-steer

Click image for larger version

Name:	spinalis2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	436526
              Yep, there it is, just waiting!

Comment

Love this! Did a couple in 2017 and they were Fabulous!!

Comment

• lonnie mac
                  lonnie mac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember that Paul! It looked DELISH!!

• PaulstheRibList
                  PaulstheRibList commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @lonnie_mac, you are getting me hungry for it again!

cap is fantastic

Comment

I guess I will break out another Benjamin and break one down like in the vid- Thanks for sharing Meathead

Comment

Costco has been selling prime rib caps for some time now and man are they pricey, I always have to keep walking when I stop to look at those in the meat case.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here