Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: New Review- Pit Barrel Junior, by Max Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: New Review- Pit Barrel Junior, by Max Good

Sneak Peek: New Review- Pit Barrel Junior, by Max Good: https://amazingribs.com/model/smoker...-barrel-junior

Click image for larger version

Name:	pit-barrel-junior-vs-cooker2-600pix.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	430667

Next up the PBC-XL ... where they finally figure out how to get their custom
    performance on a 55 gallon drum.

thanks for the review Max

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet it will happen. Seems the next logical step. Like you say, they claim it doesn't hold temp as well, but we all know it can be done, they just cater more to the set it forget it (SIFI) crowd.

Another great review. Thanks!

Comment

My trophy wife graced me with a PBC Jr. for Christmas this year. With the lower price was able to add a few extras to it like ash catcher, turkey hangers, hinged grate. Our son gave me a Pit Barrel gift certificate which allowed me to order skewers and some other items to complete the package. I did find that my set of Grillgrate panels for my Weber Smokey Joe fit perfectly in the PBC Jr. which is a little Christmas present itself. There are a few videos out there for hanging kebabs and chicken halves with spicy sausage that look extremely interesting and will get tried once the cold snap lifts (if it ever does). Until then i'll wait for Mr. Good's review and continue to be amazed.
      Last edited by Sgt Tyree; December 29, 2017, 09:43 AM. Reason: forgot about the grillgrate panels.

Comment

It looks nice! It seems pretty clear who this PBC Jr is aimed at..........I hope they can recapture any market share that was lost to those other guys. Personally, I don't see a need for a Jr, but an XL would be intriguing.

Okay, I would probably buy the XL if it came out.......Then I would also need a Jr to round out the collection......wow look at me go......

Thanks for the sneak peak!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm pretty sure"those other guys" are in the pit with us. Watch this get flagged lol lol

Spinaker

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I ca see the Jr. being an advantage there. Plus you could then run your regular PBC at 250-275 for ribs and butts, and set the Jr for 325 to cook the chicken. Nate

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          They are welcome to chime in. Jon Solberg

Hey Pit Barrel Cooker people - how about a Red or even a Camo PBE? Heck, you could even charge a $50 dollar premium for it, I’d buy one.

Comment

A PBC XL? Really? I guess if you cook for 50 on a regular basis it would be a nice compliment to the Weber Ranch kettle. I'm fine with my original PBC and with a few occasional exceptions the JR would be perfect for most all of the cooks I do. I say bravo Pit Barrel Cooker Company.

Comment

I continue to lean toward this version!

Comment

All you PBC owner/operators may have already tumbled on to some of this but it's all new to me. While feeding the birds this morning and jockeying around the Behrens Locking Lid Containers that bird seed is kept in I wondered if my new PBC Jr. coal basket would fit in the bottom of those containers to facilitate speeding up the snuffing of coals. The basket fits perfectly with ash pan attached in the bottom of the 10 gallon container (and may even fit the full sized PBC basket). The basket fits the bottom of the 6 gallon container perfectly without the pan attached and halfway down with the pan (which still allows coals to be extinguished. The long boot hooks work perfectly for moving the basket around with ease and minimizing handling time with the coals.

Comment

Good review! Watched one of the "cooks" on You Tube as well. Looks like a pretty simple instrument. Seems like the weather variable would be significant with this. Also would have to learn how distance from coals affects outcome. Now I am hungry for ribs.

Comment

The diameter of the PBJ doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room for making pizza or getting them out due to the steep extraction angle and most stones just won't fit making the PBJ a problem as I see it if you want to make a pizza. I thought about setting the grate or pan on top of the rods but could see that it would restrict airflow with the rods in and brings the lid in contact with the toppings. I thought that adding 4 small "S" hooks to suspend the grate would keep the airflow and allow the lid to be closed. It suspends the grate approx. 4.5 inches above where it normally would reside which could be either a good or bad thing. Of course just pulling the whole grate out with gloves would work for just pizza but still leaves me wondering what splitting the difference between normal position and lid bottom would do for this as well as other applications. To all of you PBC owner/operators i'd bet you've already crossed this bridge and would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	432113

Comment

Does the regular PBC run poorly (too hot?) with only a few racks of ribs etc, or does it run okay and just waste charcoal? If that is the case I guess the J may be useful.

i remember someone mentioning that these run completely different empty vs with loading. I have to wonder how much partial loading affects the temp. I have a hatred of running too hot and that has been keeping me away from the PB.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here