Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: New Recipe by Clint Cantwell- Sous-Vide-Que Smoked Duck Confit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: New Recipe by Clint Cantwell- Sous-Vide-Que Smoked Duck Confit

Sneak Peek: New Recipe by Clint Cantwell- Sous-Vide-Que Smoked Duck Confit: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ue-duck-confit

Click image for larger version

Name:	grilled-duck-confit.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	430662

WOW !! My wife and I were just talking about how to prepare some duck. We regularly buy the roasted duck from our local Asian market and love it. This is a great alternative method, thanks for sharing, I'm going for it !!

Comment

• Clint Cantwell
      Clint Cantwell commented
      Editing a comment
      You definitely can't beat roast duck when someone else is doing all of the prep but you'll enjoy this for a change of pace!

I don't think the duck fat is actually necessary, at least in the quantity recommended. Olive oil should be sufficient.

Also, shocking the bag is HIGHLY recommended if storing. HIGHLY.

I appreciate Clint's work, but sometimes it feels to me like he just chucks things in a bag, picks a temp out of the anova app, and then reverse sears, and there isn't really the same level of recipe development that go into the traditional BBQ, grill, rub, sauce, and side recipes on AR.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm curious about the process of recipe development.
      Did you try 145? 180? 155?

• Clint Cantwell
      Clint Cantwell commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed. I've done sous vide duck at 170-175 degrees in the past but found the results to be a bit on the dry side so I've since reduced it to 160 which comes out perfectly. The 135-145 range would be better served for doing a duck breast where you want it perfectly cooked through but not fall apart tender.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've broaden my questions below, in response to Huskee, if you care to comment.

As with anything BBQ, there's many ways to skin a cat. These recipes are tested thoroughly before being posted.

Comment

I had the same thought on shocking. I believe Clint by inference (his final step of refrigerating) assumed that step; however, its importance to the process should be noted. It's still in my cue, been thinking about duck for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        I had the same thought on shocking. I believe Clint by inference (his final step of refrigerating) assumed that step; however, its importance to the process should be noted. It's still in my cue, been thinking about duck for a while.
        Great point. I'll add a clarification for those who decide to refrigerate the duck for later use.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          As with anything BBQ, there's many ways to skin a cat. These recipes are tested thoroughly before being posted.
          Allow me to clarify my comment.

I don't believe that they are untested. I am sure they are done a few times following the steps and the result is good.

I am wondering how much exploration is going on. Time is a variable in SV. Temp is a variable. No temp is one size fits all, just as some prefer pittsburgh rare steaks and some prefer full medium, and many prefer all points on a continuum from steak IT of 110 to 155 even. With duck confit sous vide, as an example, 180x16 will produce something that is more faithful to classic confiture, fork shredable, but might require a pan to do the smoke step. 140 will make is more steaky, and possibly work better for Sous-B-Cue, as the protein is less damaged and the meat more open to accepting smoke.

Alternatively, smoking the cold duck leg to an IT of 130 before applying the cure will likely produce a better smoke flavor. Better even to cold smoke, though I know we don't like that in these parts.

Rubs have fewer variables. Sauces have fewer variables. Even smoking has fewer variables. My feeling, which is strictly that, MY feeling, is that these recipes aren't as fully explored, due to the wide number of variables, in the manner that say, Last Meal Ribs or Ultimate Turkey have been fully explored.

If it sounds like I'm throwing shade at Clint, that's not my intention. I dislike the term The Big Chill (it's "shocking"), and I like his work. I just hope for the same level of bulletproofing.

Comment

• Clint Cantwell
            Clint Cantwell commented
            Editing a comment
            For example, a pork butt could be prepped & cooked countless different ways but I have a single rub, injection, temp, and wrap combo that will produce stellar results as is. Each step is thought through with a purpose in mind, i.e. skip the injection and it won't be as flavorful; skip the wrapping stage and it won't be as tender.

• Clint Cantwell
            Clint Cantwell commented
            Editing a comment
            We could argue that neither the injection or wrapping steps are "necessary" to achieve pulled pork but without them it is a completely different end product then what I want you to experience. Same goes with replacing duck fat with olive oil. You'll still get sous vide duck, but it's not sous-vide-que duck confit which was the intent of this particular recipe.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s all valid.

Clint Cantwell thanks for the recipe and the preview. I look forward to trying this one. Also, I appreciate Potkettleblack's comments and the discussion with Clint that followed. The ability to look at cooking methods from different points of view is one of the great benefits The Pit forum. It helps me better understand what's going on in the recipe and allows for adjusting/adapting it to my family's preferences.

Comment

Thank you! Clint Cantwell

Comment

Appreciate the recipe! I want to give it a shot someday soon. My local Asian grocery has duck for sale at $2.99 / lbs as a consistent price. I had some duck confit in Orlando last week. Sooooo good!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Confit is one of my favorite things in the whole world. If I had a nice affordable source of duck legs, my wife would be sick of it.

• Clint Cantwell
                Clint Cantwell commented
                Editing a comment
                Duck confit and pork belly are two things that I never pass up when I find them on a menu. I'll diet in the new year...

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Two of a kind, just disagree on terminology and process.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here