Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: Bill McGrath's new review of the "Morpilot 6-probe Smart BBQ Meter Pro"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: Bill McGrath's new review of the "Morpilot 6-probe Smart BBQ Meter Pro"

App-based remote thermometer with 6 color-coded probes. ~$70.00. Purchase link and the results of Bill's testing in the review article.

Here is our review of the Morpilot, a six-channel remote thermometer that communicates with a smartphone application via Bluetooth. We gave it a Bronze Medal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	morpilot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.9 KB ID:	409164

Oh no! Can this be the Fireboard killer?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Edit. Second click I got it Huskee
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 11, 2017, 03:56 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm ... works for me...

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
    Oh no! Can this be the Fireboard killer?
    For the price, maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

For the price, maybe!
      Im buying one just to see. Lol lol lol.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't be scared, just jump right in!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My no-experience-with-it-no-reivews-on-it first thought when I seen it was "for about the price of a 2-probe Maverick, why not try it out?!?!"

Jerod Broussard I’m not scared. I’m just happy to see a 6 probe that’s reasonable priced. Yes I’m anti Fireboard even tho that’s unpopular around here.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        ya can't like everything. Where would salmon be if the first one didn't swim upstream?

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I like seeing a 6 probe system that doesn’t have the Fireboard price. Still love my Fireboard, but it’s pricey

I’m interested in customer service. I’ll stick with the Fireboard!

Comment

Ugh! Another contender to confuse my ability to decide on a thermometer. Although the accuracy, build quality and lack of plainly visible customer service makes me pause.

Comment

It’s amazing that BBQ has been done for decades without the use of such devices. Man we’re those cats wrong.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 11, 2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon Solberg, It's Armistice Day Real Mericans Use FireBoard❗️ Don't Ya Tink❓ 🇺🇸 🤗😇🤗 🇺🇸
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Americans love technology and firepower man!

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            It's true and the pit has chosen the fireboard to rule. I'm sorry for questioning that. I understand the reality. You only buy it because it's the best 🙄

Always curious to know if any Bluetooth device like this can really have enough practical range. A 12’ limit through windows won’t cut it. I’ve tried several and keep going back to Wi-Fi or dedicated radio. Testing would be interesting.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            There's no doubt that Wi-Fi & RF are king and BT is the red-headed step child. But for those whose cookers are right outside the window, distance may not matter much. This is my 1st (and only) BT device.

Amazon reviews indicate probe accuracy/reliability issues. Almost 25% of the reviews were only 1 or 2 stars.

Comment

No! No! No! And No!

Comment

Nope! Not doing it! Nope! Get thee behind me MCS!!

Comment

Much like what Bill says, I find it very inaccurate at higher poultry temps, 325-375. It wants to read about 50deg high, give or take.

At lower temps, 225-250, it seems to be about like a Maverick, from spot-on to 2 or 3 degrees high.

Food temp it was the same.

My tests were conducted with the Smoke and Thermapen as the controls. I did not test but only 2 of the 6 probes. Maybe I had a couple probes that read wonky, maybe they're all the same.

I did find connectivity to be dead simple and quick, and the alarms are fully customizable and easy to use & tweak on your phone. Upside is it graphs as well. Down side- it needs a phone or tablet as the receiver, and it's Bluetooth. If these findings aren't a deal breaker for you it's a great thermometer for its price for sure.

Comment

I used this again overnight last night on a pork butt cook. At low temps- from meat temp (35F-205F) up through typical low & slow cooking temps- it is accurate just fine.

I was asked to cook pulled pork for a lunch today so I cooked overnight and the Morpilot monitored 4 of the 6 butts (didn't feel like using all 6 probes, 4 was plenty). It performed great. Zero complaints. What's interesting is the Bluetooth connection far outperformed the RF of the Smoke.

The graphing leaves lots to be desired, I can't find any way to scroll through the past plot, and it only shows one hour at any given point, but it's handy anyway.

Comment

I remember seeing that on Amazon a few months ago and thought it was kinda neat but having a Smoke and a Fireboard it is of no real interest to me.

That thermo is sold by at least two other companies under different brand names. The other two have slightly different cases but everything else is the same. It's not unusual for a lot of Chinese made items to be sold/rebadged by multiple vendors.

The tough part is trying to decide which company is actually going to be around long enough to actually be offer support when you need it.

Some may decide that this is a Fireboard killer. This may take a few sales away from Fireboard but the Fireboard offers so much more that I can't imagine these will really harm the Fireboard company.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here