Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Thermopro TempSpike Wireless Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a 2nd cook which included the 2nd probe along with the 1st. Set up was simple, it paired to the app in seconds. This isn't about the cook so no pictures and it did happen. I did a 1# pork tenderloin. Looking back not the best cut for 2 probes. Put each in the ends. One end thicker than the other. The ambient temps were pretty much in sync. The cook was on the Kettle on the elevated grate with 2 full baskets of KBB. Their I.T's were off by about 25 to 30. So the estimated times were off accordingly. I think the thickness was the cause. Using the Thermopen, I confirmed the temp on each end. When they were sitting next to each other in the kitchen they had the same temperature so I'm sure the 2nd is fine. I did not do an ice test on it but did on the 1st.
    Now for the mixing up of probe and booster. I did this; marked each box underneath on the sticker 1&2. Placed masking tape on each booster underneath with 1&2. When inserted in the meat, I noted which probe went where. In this case, left and right. When I was done I carefully placed probes by 1&2 booster. Also, once you place the probe in the booster the pairing is terminated so the app can't see temperatures.
    We're heading to Vermont for the weekend to visit my son and family. Next week, I'll get and do a larger hunk of protein. I'm very happy with the performance at this time.
    ​​​​​
    ​

Comment

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      I just received mine and the sale ends in like 10 hours. I'm hesitant to get another but it will become more expensive soon.

What say you?

I've done a couple cooks now with my new TempSpike and, in short, I love it. The reception capability of this device is 1st rate. I am using a Pit Barrel Junior which is an all-metal cooking device. I leave the booster just outside of the PBJ, unpowered, and the Bluetooth signal is picked up easily by my phone, even through hurricane windows.

What I have noticed is that probe placement is paramount for this device to work as advertised. I smoked turkey thighs yesterday and set the probe for 165°. When I went to check the temp with a ThermoPen when the Spike said they were finished, I was about 8-9° off (low). I repositioned the spike and kept cooking until it reached 165°

So with that one caveat, I'd still give this probe 5 stars. The convenience factor can't be beat, and I didn't find the software at all confusing to use. I would expect that the next generation of this probe will. be able to control a fan in order to be as useful as a BBQ Guru.

Comment

I ordered a second one...

Comment

I have felt my ambient readings have been somewhat low compared to readings coming from probes on my Fireboard - I'm wondering now, though... this weekend I had some probes run through wads of aluminuminum foil - I wonder if that was picking up more heat and transferring it to the Fireboard probes, causing them to read falsely high?

Hmmm.... gonna need some more experimentation.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a bit confused DFPS - which probes? The FB or the TS? You used foil wads to hold the ambient probes of the FB, or was the TS probe poked through foil into the meat?

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think it is running it through foil. It's from having the probe in the meat, rather than on the grate. That usually yields a lower temp that you will get on an independent probe at the grate.

Originally posted by DogFaced PonySoldier View Post
        I
        Hmmm.... gonna need some more experimentation.
        I'm not the expert on how these probes are designed, but I think the temperature probe is at the tip and that aluminum foil shouldn't affect the reading.

Comment

I actually forgot I had these, and was using my Chef Alarm for stuff. So I made an effort over the last week to give it a workout, and it works well.

Connection is simple, once you’ve set up the app; you put the spike in the food, turn on the app, and in about 10 seconds it’s connected. The app can be confusing, but it isn’t so complicated that it can’t be figured out by just clicking on things and seeing what happens; you can get it right without screwing it up or feeling stupid.

There’s a nice feature where it estimates time to done. That wasn’t so useful for chicken thighs, or meatloaf or pot pie, but it would be pretty worthwhile for roasts, briskets, butts, whole birds, and the like.

Accuracy matches the Chef Alarm closely enough. I say that because even being an inch apart will give different readings by a degree or three. For our purposes a couple of degrees isn’t relevant, IMO.

I did use it to check the ambient temperature of my oven. When set to 350°, the TempSpike settled at 347°, then oscillated between 332° and 370°, taking about 20 minutes to drop to 332°, then another 20 to hit 370°. That’s fine with me, for a 3 year old electric range.

It’s a nice item. You could do worse, I think. The Chef Alarm probe is much thinner, but it doesn’t have all those electronics inside it, and you have to deal with the wires and the display taking up counter space. If I were just starting out, I would probably go wireless. ThermoWorks stuff is probably more durable, but in a home kitchen that can also mean overbuilt. This is smaller and works just fine.

Comment

Today is my first time using Royal Oak wood chunks instead of Kingsford charcoal to cook a 9 lb. pork butt in my Pit Barrel Junior. I'm also using the TempSpike to monitor pit and pork temperature. I really love that device! So far, the pit temperature is holding around 240°. I'm spritzing with apple cider vinegar every 90 minutes or so until I reach 160°.

Another first for me today is I'm going to wrap the butt in butcher paper instead of foil. It kills me to have to throw away so much un-recyclable aluminum, so I'm going to try butcher paper and see how it goes.

And here are the pics!!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bocaboy; December 16, 2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Allon
              Allon commented
              Editing a comment
              No pictures?

It didn't happen...

A rule is a rule!

• bocaboy
              bocaboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Here ya go, Allon

• Allon
              Allon commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. I'm glad I said something. We would have never seen that!

Outstanding!

I just got mine yesterday, and the app keeps crashing on my android phone. I get an occasional message about a bug in the app. Called tech support and they were unaware of the issue. Anyone else have this issue?

Comment

I didn't have any real problems with the app. I haven't used mine in a while, though. Maybe some kind of update borked it.

Comment

I used it a few days ago. No issues.

Comment

I'm having an issue with mine. It connects but no temperature readings in the app.

Comment

• bocaboy
                    bocaboy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are you sure you're connected via Bluetooth to your phone? Also, the case can serve as a booster. Put it in the same proximity as your cooker and see if that doesn't improve the situation.

I've been pretty impressed at how strong the Bluetooth signal is in my home, even through impact glass windows! I leave the case outside, near my Pitbarrel, and I have no problems with reception.
                    Last edited by bocaboy; January 21, 2023, 06:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah Bluetooth is on and I'm just trying to get it to connect in my office on my desk.

Sam’s Club has them now for $70. Not easy to find. Near the charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here