Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: "Man The Grill: Why Do Men Dominate The Grill?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lucky because my wife does chicken better than me. She has more patience.

Comment

Kathryn and CandySue were the first people I thought of when I saw this, I'm glad they chimed in!

Both of my parents cooked when I was growing up, but dad (and his little helper/beer runner who always took a sip when fetching one) was in charge of all things outdoor cooking. Interestingly, for me anyway, is that mom cooked the mainstay "Mom" foods while dad was the one who was always experimenting and trying new things.

I was a bachelor until I was 39 and a career fireman so cooking was what I did. Outdoor cooking and grilling are the most expedient way to make meals for a single guy and at a firehouse. That continued on throughout my marriage and into retirement, with the addition of smoking and BBQ'ing. I think it might have a lot to do with men being the historical hunter/gatherers and having to eat on the go. Making a fire and roasting some meat is about as simple as it gets and it's part of the male primitive survival brain. But, I'm no anthropologist and have never written a book on the subject.

Comment

Growing up, my three bros n I had kitchen duties. Shopped, made menus, cooked n did dishes. All under my fathers tutelage. Had to be "three star meals" . Protein veg n starch.Hated it then but I can cook anything, anywhere, at anytime. My father handled the grill n my mother was Queen of the kitchen. Batch til 40's then started grillin.
        Only began smokin late fifties. love all aspects of cooking and appreciate everything I learned through my disciplined years! Fat dumb n happy! Love me some AR!! Ty

Comment

I agree with the whole advertising side of it for sure. I learned by watching my dad. Day was a grilled, not a smoker, though. I guess just with my passion and curiosity about food, adding smoking to my skills came naturally. If y’all were to ask BF, he would say that i have the mad skills and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. He is a helluva chimney starter, though!

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            "He is a helluva chimney starter, though!"

You light him up to start the fire!!??? Dude must be VERY patient.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He will ask me, "cooking in or out?" I say out. He asks, "how full?"

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            And you should reply "Well I'm hungry, so pretty full!"

For me, it’s simply a matter of survival. My bride will burn coleslaw! Her Mom used to crack I was treated like a Greek God with all the burnt offerings. She’s a good sport about it.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Every time I see this, I can’t help but giggle "my bride will burn cole slaw"

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here