Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Masterbuilt 40-inch Digital Charcoal Smoker Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Masterbuilt 40-inch Digital Charcoal Smoker Review

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Masterbuilt 40-inch Digital Charcoal Smoker Review, by Huskee
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/smokers/masterbuilt-40-inch-digital-charcoal/

Masterbuilt’s 40-inch Digital Charcoal Smoker marries technology, convenience, and affordability without sacrificing authentic charcoal and wood flavor. With a high-capacity vertical orientation, superior temperature control, and hands-off ease of use, it offers a lot of convenience and genuine smoke flavor for your dollar. See the detailed pros and cons, as well as our medal rating in the full review at the link above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	masterbuilt-40in-digital-charcoal-cabinet-hero.jpg
Views:	11915
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1151410
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6091.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1151412 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6081.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1151411

Looks pretty damn decent for 350 stones. Masterbuilt have been doing a great job at making products accessible for people.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I am using it as we speak for 4 racks of ribs. I would stop using junk after i tested it for the review. I like this smoker and I keep using it.

Looks like a good solid winner at its price point and suitable for many folks.

Comment

How nasty does the drip tray get. The one on my smoke vault gets nasty. I like stuff like these for small 3 or less brisket cooks for employees and family. Very little fuss.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        It gets as nasty as you might expect without the drips getting direct contact with the burner or the coals burning them up as they drip, but they still sizzle and blacken and cleanup isn't terrible. You could cover with foil to help aid in cleanup but I didn't test foil's longevity, I suspect it might not last long given that drip tray is the barrier between the upper chamber and the heat from the coals immediately below.

And do full racks of ribs, packer brisket, and salmon fillets fit without cutting them in 1/2?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the racks are 22" wide. Plenty of room for both commodity and Duroc ribs that I tested. I suppose if you got ahold of some old big long hog with long ribs you could have an issue, doubtful though. Same with salmon & brisket, <22" you'll be good.

Masterbuilt just keeps making them nicer, so even the fancy folk use them! My old electric works, but does not look that pretty!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        They are trying hard, and largely succeeding.

Thanks Huskee.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reading, Ron!

Another great review. Thank you Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, David.

Enjoyed reading the review.
      My only experience with Smoking / BBQ is w/ my Okie Joe Longhorn.

Stuff like this has me reconsidering my pursuit of an EOS!!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        An EOS will last forever, this won't last even close, but this is fun and fairly hands-off. Even the best EOS is still very hands-on.

Looks like a nice option for someone just getting in to smoking, but nothing there to get me away from my WSM and ThermoWorks Billows combo. And even then the fan is more of a convenience item than a necessity. If my fan dies I can still cook, and it’s a quick and easy replacement.

Comment

I love my Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp. For the money, it holds temps pretty rock solid. Couple friends even bought one based on how good the food always turns out and they love theirs. This new smoker seems to answer the one hang up I have with the 340. With the 340, you still have to babysit the "Jiffy Pop" wood pan throughout the cook. It’s really the only thing that stops the 340 from being a true set and forget unit. This new smoker looks like as long as you load the wood chunks throughout the basket, you’re good to go for as long as the coals last you. For the money, I think anyone would be happy with these Masterbuilt smokers.

Comment

Huskee how would you compare this to the gravity fed charcoal smoker they produce?

Comment

texastweeter Different animals of course, but some highlights are this is capable of more capacity, whereas the Gravity Series is far more convenient to reload charcoal and can be used as a searing hot grill also. The temp regulation is very similar with both.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              So for pure smoker use, one is better for long cooks as you can refill easier, the other has a higher capacity. Build quality and expected longevity similar?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter Yes, IMO.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here