Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Weber Summit Kamado E6 and S6 Charcoal Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Weber Summit Kamado E6 and S6 Charcoal Grill

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Weber Summit Kamado E6 and S6 Charcoal Grill, by Max Good
    Link:
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...summit-kamado/

Iconic Weber Kettles are some of the most popular and respected backyard grills in the world. Those who've mastered a kettle can do everything on it from grill a steak to bake a cake and these Summit Kamados are kettles on steroids. If you like your Weber Kettle, you'll love their...Kamettle?... Kettalado? OK let’s just call it a Kamado dag nab it. Introduced in 2016, the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill was the first major departure from George Stephen’s original charcoal kettle in decades. It was bigger, badder and more versatile: a super kettle with a price tag to match.

In 2020 they rolled out new versions retitled Summit Kamados with way lower prices. The new three legged Summit E6 Kamado is $1,049 and the cart mounted Summit S6 Kamado is $1,799, knocking about one third off the original price tags! That’s pretty amazing because the new models are essentially the same with some minor changes.

Click the link above to read the review to see what's changed and what's stayed the same, and to see our award.

E6:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	weber-summit-kamado-e6.jpg.png Views:	0 Size:	209.0 KB ID:	1098198

S6:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	weber-summit-kamado-s6.jpg.png Views:	0 Size:	289.9 KB ID:	1098197

Outstanding review and it clearly anticipates and addresses top questions from readers. Well done.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Great review, just a note... I was confused when starting this review... I was like oh, new thing.... wait 2016... OH I get it now....

I would consider starting the article with the paragraph "Weber listened" but put the following in front of that, "In 2016 Weber roller out the Weber Summit to luke warm reception", everything else after that would flow better IMO

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your observation.

Does anyone know if you go with the 3-legged version, if you can detach the legs and install it in a self-built table?

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Since you would be making a custom built fixture, you should be able to do this. Of course you'd have to account for air flow and safety considerations.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Max Good. I was having a tough time justifying the extra $700 for the smallish cart & propane igniter.

I have and still adore the OG version. Dont hesitate on this if you are in the market.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      You're singing to the choir of other Summit Charcoal owners.

The changes made in the new S6 with attached table make me glad that I bought the original WSCGC back when they first came out.

One thing that Max Good did not point out in his excellent review of the differences between the newer model and the original is that on the new table, there is no place for diffuser plate storage under the new lighter lower shelf. That's a wonderful place to store the diffuser, out of sight,not taking up valuable storage space elsewhere, and I'm glad it's on my version.

Click image for larger version  Name:	weber-summit-charcoal-grillling-center.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.3 KB ID:	1098458
    Snapjet Ignition feature not shown in this photo above. I have it on my original WSCGC.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	weber-summit-kamado-s6-1024x1024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	1098459

One question, Max, with the newer model are there still built in hangers to hook the grates on to just below the cart handle on the side of the table? That's another handy and thoughtful feature that I hope they didn't eliminate. It's a nice place to hook a dirty grate while shifting things around in the setup or the cleanup phase.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; September 22, 2021, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like the new cart does away with the charcoal storage bin?

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris Yes the bin is gone. Instead they include their new, sealable charcoal bag. Pic in my review.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Max Good I saw that once I read the full review. Dumping a bag of charcoal in a bin like the one on my Performer Deluxe is something I will do. Transferring it from one bag to another bag? Probably not...

Nice, and a good review as usual. That said, like fzxdoc & others, I’m happy that I picked up the original WSCGC a few years ago.

The diffuser storage on the original is brilliant. I ALWAYS know where it is and don’t have to find somewhere else to set it or hang it.

I also agree that the grate hangers are another brilliant addition. They get used pretty much every time I use the thing. Fortunately it appears that those got to stay. (From photos on their site.) Good choice on their part, they’re incredibly handy.

Not so brilliant on the new model..? What’s with the charcoal "fuel bag" with Velcro? O_o
    I’m with jfmorris on that one. I don’t get it.
    Sure, it looks nicer than a paper charcoal bag…but only just. And that’s a low bar. I much prefer the original or the Buddeez charcoal dispensers. (I have several.) I imagine it was done for weight considerations given that it no longer has a solid shelf/floor…

Still a solid cooker by the looks of it…but I still prefer mine, even if it did cost more.

Comment

I've been eyeing these for a while. It's great the price has dropped considerably. I just can't justify it yet with my 22 and 26 both equipped with FB and fans. I know fuel consumption is a big plus as well, but my biggest attraction is having the whole cooking grate available. Kettles with SnS takes up quite a bit of space. Think Blasphemy Ribs on a 26 using a wire rack. On the 22 it's a real tight fit. On the 26 there's plenty of room, but what if I wanna do (rare need) 2 racks? I can easily do 2 whole racks of STLs on the 26 with the SnS. Much to think about.

Comment

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a thought...have you considered making a charcoal ring and diffuser plate in order to use your 22 as a master touch premium? Tom Horsman has a YouTube video on it.

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        Grillin Dad I'm talking about Blasphemy Ribs where you cut them into individual bones. I can easily do two whole racks on my 26 which I rarely do. If I need for some reason more than two whole racks, I can then deploy my 22 at the same time.

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        jpietrantone Interesting, thanks.

Max Good And the rest of you: So, is there anything you can do on a 22" or 26" regular Weber Kettle that you can't do on this Weber Summit Kamado E6 and S6 Charcoal Grill?

I'm asking the reverse question, not what can it do, but do you give up anything (except money) in moving to one of these from a simple Weber Kettle?

Thanks
      Daniel

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        The only thing I am aware of is that there is no rotisserie kit for the Weber kamado. This is likely due to the hinged lid and design.

Aside from that - having both a kamado and a kettle myself - I would say that there is nothing you cannot do on the kamado. The advantage of the Weber kamado is that due to the metal construction, it ought to change temps much more rapidly than a ceramic kamado. That is the main issue for me with Kamados is that they are slower to change than the kettle.

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        Weber kettles are excellent and versatile. In a nutshell, their Summit Kamados are just plain bigger and better. jfmorris some have modified Kamado Joe's 24" Big Joe Joetisserie to fit the 24" Weber Summits. Weber is expanding their accessories. I'm checking with them about possible plans for a Summit Rotisserie.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        As jfmorris said, it does lack a rotisserie. Whether that stays true…we’ll see. Hopefully Max Good can find out… Would be on my list of things to purchase.

Aside from that…the "regular" kettles have a couple of other accessories not currently available for the Summit; like a "Santa Maria" grill attachment. Again, due to the hinged lid. That said, given the real estate, it’s simple enough to setup multiple zones & move the food…much like is done with a Santa Maria anyway. Still love my Summit.
        Last edited by surfdog; September 25, 2021, 10:10 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here