Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - "Is MSG Bad For You?" - by Meathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - "Is MSG Bad For You?" - by Meathead

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Is MSG Bad For You?, by Meathead
    LINK: https://amazingribs.com/is-msg-bad-for-you/

"Many people think MSG is bad for you. The truth is that scientists have not found a connection between MSG and ill health. In fact, I recommend using MSG. It is an effective flavor enhancer." - Meathead

Read more about the facts vs anecdotal evidence in this enlightening article based on all currently available facts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	parmigiano-reggiano-1024x729.jpg.png Views:	18 Size:	483.4 KB ID:	1095306

There goes Meathead once again bringing in science and actual facts to enhance our cooking.

Thanks.

Comment

Way to Accent MSG Meathead.

Comment

Nice article. Thanks Meathead and Huskee for sharing. No longer will I chastise my wife for using it in her asian cooking :-).

Comment

Anyone know if its possible to buy the G without the MS? That is, can you get it without the sodium?

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Celery seed, mushroom powder, Kombu.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, yeah, and salt free bouillon powder, as mentioned by Strat50

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            @ Dewesq55 I was dismayed to learn that the bottle of Trader Joe's Mushroom powder I had in my cabinet had a significant amount of sodium.

I've used Accent in some wing recipes from the Barbecue Bible for the past 20 years, and have never had anyone complain about a headache after eating the wings. I need to buy more, as my wife tossed my last bottle for being past the expiration date (it was a big Sam's Club sized bottle).

Comment

I don't dispute Meathead's findings, but I will tell you that I get a bad buzz from it. I always have and so did my mother. I get tunnel vision, hear a buzzing sound and get a hot flash up the back of my neck. Within one minute of eating a dish, I'll feel it. I stop eating and it goes away after a few minutes. I begin eating again and it comes back. It's a major buzz, but not in a good way. So I conclude that it's a matter of degree. If heavily applied, I get a reaction.

The first time I went to Famous Dave's BBQ restaurant, I was so excited to try it, especially the burnt ends. I ordered a sampler platter and as soon as I tried the burnt ends I got the reaction. I asked the server if they use MSG and both she and the chef told me "No!" I wrote a letter to their corporate and they said "It's in all their rubs." So most often the chefs don't even know that they may be using it. Recently, we went to a local Asian fusion place and I couldn't eat my meal. They, too, denied using it. Fortunately they didn't charge me for my unfinished meal, unlike Famous Dave's.

Personally, I feel like if I need to use heavy doses of a man-made chemical flavor enhancer, I'm doing something wrong. Over applying MSG is a nasty trick in my opinion. I don't see it as psychosomatic (all in my head) because I really wanted to eat the burnt ends at FD's.

I chuckled when I read this in the article: "The only credible research showing harm was when it was used in large quantities on an empty stomach." My stomach usually is empty when I sit down to eat.
            Last edited by Bruceski44; September 16, 2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              It is possible that some people are allergic to it and that this is an allergy rather than the natural effect of MSG. One of my Mom's close friends reacts poorly to MSG.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Do mushrooms or other foods high in natural content cause you issues? My reading about the discovery of MSG is that the Japanese researcher involved (who went on to found the Accent company) extracted it from seaweed - so it wasn't really man made as much as man processed into a form that could be used as an addition to foods it didn't occur in naturally.

• Bruceski44
              Bruceski44 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you both for your thoughts. jfmorris, I have mushrooms on pizza and my wife makes killer stuffed mushrooms, but I have never gotten a reaction to them. It's possible I just haven't eaten enough of them at once.
              And thanks for the correction about how MSG is derived.
              Last edited by Bruceski44; September 16, 2021, 03:52 PM.

Bruceski44 - what happens if you eat Doritos? Because they have MSG in the ingredient list. I'm wondering if it's presence of the ingredient or perhaps amount?

Comment

• Bruceski44
              Bruceski44 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's another good thought, but I can't recall the last time I ate Doritos. Maybe it's time for an experiment! Dorito stuffed mushrooms!

I just wanted to make the point that people do have reactions to it and, as an engineer, I feel my observations are credible. And it's related to the amount used, because my reactions are rare but unmistakable. One waitress scoffed when I complained and said "Are you sure it's not the beer?" To which I replied "Well, I've had beer before!"

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool Ranch! Yeah, I completely believe you that you have a reaction - as a left brained person too, my first thought was "let's experiment!" hence to Doritos suggestion.

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Bruceski44 Oh you’re an engineer…that explains it! 😁😂

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here