Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - Farm To Table, by Christopher Kimball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Article - Farm To Table, by Christopher Kimball

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Farm To Table, by Christopher Kimball
    Link:https://amazingribs.com/farm-to-table/

Farm to table is a buzzword phrase these days. Check out food writer Christopher Kimball's unique take on the term, with the emphasis on farm.This article is shared with permission from the original editorial in Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Magazine, September/October 2021 issue.

Thanks Huskee. I spent a lot of time on one uncle's farm and I know how hard the work is and and how long the hours are, and how smelly it gets, and how dirty it gets. Farmers get my respect and admiration 'cause they have a hard life - even in good times.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. I spent time on my uncles beef farm as well, long, dirty, smelly noisy, physical hours.
      24/7 fixing, maintaining, repairing then managing to do some farming.
      He did well, better than most but an occupation not for the faint of heart, famers are the worlds biggest optimists.
      Then there's my aunt, the backbone, toughest job in the world is being a farmers wife.

Great article. Love the imagery of Martha Stewart's sterile farm put up against the fly speckled dirty reality.

Comment

Thats a good read. I grew up on a produce farm when I was younger, and spent a few summers on a dairy farm. Definitely not the life for me, but I'm glad I have those memories. It makes it easier to justify the prices at the farmers market, and I absolutely respect what it takes to put food on my table.

Comment

Interesting, but it really is about small farms, not farm-to-table. I put "farm-to-table" in the food marketing buzzwords category of "natural", "artisanal" etc., that have no defined meaning and are so over-used they have become meaningless. When I see "farm-to-table" at a restaurant I imagine the chef contracting with a farm directly or having their own farm, so the food comes direct from the farm to my plate (through the kitchen). But I believe that's very rare. Most restaurant food comes from a distributor and likely passes through many hands before it hits the table. So if that's farm-to-table then the logical extension of this is that ALL food is farm to table.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          The article was emphasizing the "farm" aspect of it. The realities before the table. And yes, dragging a cow from the pasture into the restaurant kitchen and processing it is in fact very rare.

Lynn Crawford is a Cdn chef who has gone this route with a series on Food Network Canada.
        She goes to local farms and does the "farming", the getting dirty, the picking/slaughtering/butchering then turns out the ultimate gourmet meal.
        Some of its kinda funny when she bites off more than she bargained for in the barn/manure pile but the girl puts on the gum boots and gets to it so I give her credit.
        She also lends her name a world class Niagara area winery though I don't know if she owns it.
        Worth a look if your interested.

Comment

Well written. The author filled the piece with lovely imagery and took us on a real journey. Good work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here