Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill, by Max Good
    Link:
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...sis-ii-sx-335/

The Weber Genesis II SX-335 three burner with sear burner and side burner is, at its core, a wonderful gas grill. The electronics are disappointing but this grill still cooks like nobody's business. See Max's rating in the review at the link above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	weber-genesis-sx-335-hero-1024x932.jpg.png Views:	13 Size:	183.0 KB ID:	1088934

No link.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      It was there, just wasn't clickable. I reinserted it.

The Weber Genesis II SX-335 three burner with sear burner and side burner is, at its core, a wonderful gas grill. The electronics are disappointing but this grill still cooks like nobody's business. We're giving Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill our Bronze Medal, with qualifications.

Another great review. Appears to be another sub par performance from Weber.

Comment

Max put a TON of work into testing this thing.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        It is obvious. An extensive review for sure.

Max Good Could a user buy one of the iGrill pit probes and plug into the Weber Connect to get a more accurate reading albeit losing one of only two food probes? How does the factory pit probe connect to the device? Could it just be replaced with a different movable probe?

Comment

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        "So what happens if our readers, armed with digital thermometers, complain that Weber Connect is inaccurate? Weber customer service is instructed to offer those buyers a Weber Connect ambient probe and grate clip to plug into one of the Meat Probe Inputs. Sadly, we tried this and it didn’t work either."

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Max Good My experience with the SmokeFire was inaccurate probes at times too, that’s why I was curious. Sorry I missed that paragraph in the review. Should have known you already covered it.

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy your input is always welcome.

Awesome review.

I was surprised to see the new units from Fireboard here. I guess my assumption would not have been to question the FB performance. However, it is clear that Max was so surprised at the results from the Weber that he considered every option before placing the blame on the Weber. The mark of a world-class reviewer.

What has to be more frustrating is that the unit may need a new controller to fix the issues requiring the buyer to install and/or pay for one.

Comment

Thanks Max, a very interesting and thoroughly conducted testing. So surprising that its downfall was basic temperature measurements. I would opt for the grill without the electronics and buy a separate Fireboard system. Not only does the FB do a great job recording all your sessions, but it can be moved to different grills.

But hard to fathom why Weber struggles to take an accurate temperature. From the Weber engineeer's description, it sounds as if they have over-thought this and are on a path down a rathole. Weber should be embarrassed by the results.

Comment

And the beat goes on……!

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer to be the "smart" in my cookers. I'm none too smart, truth be told, but I seem to have a leg up on many of these devices.

Comment

Well to second Huskees emotion, it seems like the "Powers" of the mfg world wants to bring grillin & smokin into the "realm of devices" real, real bad. The culture we live in is hooked on graphs & computers & their “phones. Hence, let’s bring it to grillin. Right now the movement is in its early childhood. But, with more effort some will be able to smoke a brisket or grill a fake burger just sittin at their laptop. There are many folks linin up to do it & more power to em. The outdoor cookin world will expand. Fer me, I’m expanded enough.
              Last edited by FireMan; September 6, 2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Hear hear! "GET OFF MY LAWN". Darn kids and their apps and their music.

• BBQPhil
                BBQPhil commented
                Editing a comment
                There's a weird propensity of companies wanting to jump onto the tech bandwagon, so they struggle to find a purpose for adding WiFi and an app. Sometimes it's because they want to be valued as a high tech company to boost their stock. Unfortunately, it rarely goes as planned.

I came to the aid of a kitchen products retailer who sourced a WiFi thermometer from a Chinese company and had a huge number of complaints about failing to connect. When I opened the product, it was missing a WiFi antenna
                Last edited by BBQPhil; September 7, 2021, 10:05 AM. Reason: typo

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here