Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Genesis II SX-335 Smart Grill, by Max Good
    Link:
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...sis-ii-sx-335/

The Weber Genesis II SX-335 three burner with sear burner and side burner is, at its core, a wonderful gas grill. The electronics are disappointing but this grill still cooks like nobody's business. See Max's rating in the review at the link above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	weber-genesis-sx-335-hero-1024x932.jpg.png Views:	13 Size:	183.0 KB ID:	1088934

No link.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      It was there, just wasn't clickable. I reinserted it.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...sis-ii-sx-335/

Another great review. Appears to be another sub par performance from Weber.

Comment

Max put a TON of work into testing this thing.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        It is obvious. An extensive review for sure.

Max Good Could a user buy one of the iGrill pit probes and plug into the Weber Connect to get a more accurate reading albeit losing one of only two food probes? How does the factory pit probe connect to the device? Could it just be replaced with a different movable probe?

Comment

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        "So what happens if our readers, armed with digital thermometers, complain that Weber Connect is inaccurate? Weber customer service is instructed to offer those buyers a Weber Connect ambient probe and grate clip to plug into one of the Meat Probe Inputs. Sadly, we tried this and it didn’t work either."

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Max Good My experience with the SmokeFire was inaccurate probes at times too, that’s why I was curious. Sorry I missed that paragraph in the review. Should have known you already covered it.

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy your input is always welcome.

Awesome review.

I was surprised to see the new units from Fireboard here. I guess my assumption would not have been to question the FB performance. However, it is clear that Max was so surprised at the results from the Weber that he considered every option before placing the blame on the Weber. The mark of a world-class reviewer.

What has to be more frustrating is that the unit may need a new controller to fix the issues requiring the buyer to install and/or pay for one.

Comment

Thanks Max, a very interesting and thoroughly conducted testing. So surprising that its downfall was basic temperature measurements. I would opt for the grill without the electronics and buy a separate Fireboard system. Not only does the FB do a great job recording all your sessions, but it can be moved to different grills.

But hard to fathom why Weber struggles to take an accurate temperature. From the Weber engineeer's description, it sounds as if they have over-thought this and are on a path down a rathole. Weber should be embarrassed by the results.

Comment

And the beat goes on……!

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer to be the "smart" in my cookers. I'm none too smart, truth be told, but I seem to have a leg up on many of these devices.

Comment

Well to second Huskees emotion, it seems like the “Powers” of the mfg world wants to bring grillin & smokin into the “realm of devices” real, real bad. The culture we live in is hooked on graphs & computers & their “phones. Hence, let’s bring it to grillin. Right now the movement is in its early childhood. But, with more effort some will be able to smoke a brisket or grill a fake burger just sittin at their laptop. There are many folks linin up to do it & more power to em. The outdoor cookin world will expand. Fer me, I’m expanded enough.
              Last edited by FireMan; September 6, 2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Hear hear! "GET OFF MY LAWN". Darn kids and their apps and their music.

• BBQPhil
                BBQPhil commented
                Editing a comment
                There's a weird propensity of companies wanting to jump onto the tech bandwagon, so they struggle to find a purpose for adding WiFi and an app. Sometimes it's because they want to be valued as a high tech company to boost their stock. Unfortunately, it rarely goes as planned.

I came to the aid of a kitchen products retailer who sourced a WiFi thermometer from a Chinese company and had a huge number of complaints about failing to connect. When I opened the product, it was missing a WiFi antenna
                Last edited by BBQPhil; September 7, 2021, 10:05 AM. Reason: typo

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
            Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special