Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Ole Hickory EL-EDX Commercial Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Review - Ole Hickory EL-EDX Commercial Smoker

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that are freshly published on the public site before getting advertised there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

Ole Hickory EL-EDX Commercial Smoker, by Max Good
    https://amazingribs.com/rating-revie...ickory-el-edx/

Click image for larger version  Name:	ole hickory 1.png Views:	3847 Size:	211.7 KB ID:	1072541

Big commercial smokers like the Ole Hickory EL-EDX are made for the high output needs of restaurants and caterers. They must be efficient, effective, dependable and capable of cranking out lots and lots of food.

Ole Hickory has been around since 1974. Read our review to learn why they are well known, well regarded and very popular among commercial pitmasters. We spoke with some Ole Hickory owners and they unanimously sang the praises of their smoker's performance and the company's customer care.

Nice review.

Comment

I want one with the carousel option and foot pedal! . That would solve all my capacity needs, forever, haha.

I can see this being a great design for a BBQ restaurant that doesn't want to build a custom pit.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinkin' you need a rotisserie flattop...

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB I don't think I could manage any more space than the non-rotisserie flat top I already got! I am trying to picture a hibachi steak house chef cooking on a moving rotisserie. How do you manage the onion volcano?

These pits are incredible. Operation BBQ Relief has two semi-trailer flatbeds with several of them on each. It is wondrous to watch that carousel go round when fully loaded.

And I see you got a picture of my old nemesis, the drain. Some day I'll tell the story of Stan Hays watching with bemusement as a team of us struggled with draining a pit where pork bits had clogged the drain...

Edit: I scrolled back through my phone and found a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-23 07.42.45.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	1072620
      Last edited by Jim White; August 4, 2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I really got to pay more attention to Chicago BBQ festivals.

Comment

One more thing to add as I think back. The drain doesn't drain just grease. The OBR pitmasters, and I suspect most commercial operators, would put around 30 gallons or so of water in the bottom of the pit before loading it. You don't see it when looking through the doors at the shelves because it sits way down in the bottom of the unit. It was explained to me that this served the dual purpose of helping dilute the drippings and to act as a water reservoir in maintaining humidity during the cook. Of course, we know here, too, that the moisture helps the smoke from those sticks adhere to the meat. Since we did sneak in a few QC nibbles here and there, I can attest that the smoke level in these cookers is on a par with cooking with charcoal or natural lump with wood chunks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here