Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip Santa Maria style (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip Santa Maria style (I think)

Tri-tip over a mix of cherry and oak, with one Fruita peach log thrown in midway through.

THis is the first time that I tried starting fire with just splits and newspaper soaked in cooking oil, instead of a chimney of charcoal. This actually seemed easier to me than starting with charcoal. Also used my new Kindling Cracker to make smaller splits which I think helped.

With a nice big fire, spent most of the time with grate fully raised (grate temp showing mostly around 200-240). Then brought it down for a sear at the end, and and moved away from fire while I prepped asparagus.

Unfortunately this was a late breaking plan, only got salt on about an hour ahead of time and the meat was not yet fully defrosted. It ended up less juicy than I'd hoped and I guess this is why. (I also unhelpfully sliced a bunch with the grain before I came to my senses and switched..)

Still not bad, the middle was a nice medium rare (though thin end overcooked), and the smell just standing near the fire while it cooked was almost worth it on its own.
    Attached Files

Nice cook, the perfect steak on the perfect grill !!

Comment

Wow! Great cook & cooker, awesome char!

Comment

You Grill done good.
        Pair that steak with PBR, I would.
        Grilled asparagus that too.

Comment

Well done! Well... done well! I'd eat that, gladly

Comment

Nice char on the TT. And I love asparagus with my steak. Well done sir.

Comment

I’m kinda loving both. The Tri-Tip and your grill.
              Nicely done done my friend. 🙌🙌

Comment

Did you use the large or smaller Kindling Cracker? I’m going to have to pick one up and I have no clue.

Cook looks great.

rob

Comment

• das85
                  das85 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks.. I used the smaller. But turned out some of my splits are too big for it. And others were just too hard or stubborn - some split really easily, but with some I just gave up.

Looks great! Get that cook and pics into the SUWYC thread.

Comment

What beautiful photos. Who doesn't like seeing meat cooking over a wood fire? I'd love to play with a setup like that but am afraid that I'd catch the woods on fire (we live in a heavily wooded area). Still, I keep toying with the idea of getting a Santa Maria grill accessory for the kettle.

That tri tip grain can be tricky. I bet lots of folks (including me) join you in slicing at least one incorrectly until we caught the error. I'm a big fan of Hank's Signature Steak Rub on tri tips lately.

Kathryn

Comment

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Much the same here... Many people consider starting a wildfire and/or burning down several neighbour’s houses kinda rude. LOL For now I’ll stick to cookers with covers.

• das85
                    das85 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a lot of fun.. Thanks for the tip on Hanks, my first batch arrived last week so will give that a shot on next tri-tip. This time I had tried Fruita Black and Gold which I didn't love...had previously used Oakridge Santa Maria which I like on almost anything (and felt appropriate!)

My friend that's Santa Maria style all the way, Tri Tip can be tricky I'm not a fan for just eating with knife and fork can be a little no a lot chewy cut it wrong and can be down right tough. I have cooked no roll and be great and cooked CBA prime and been really disappointed. your pics are excellent and meat cooked well and i dig your cooker, well done

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here