Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braten in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braten in the rain

OK so here I am heading into my 3rd weekend of proud Braten ownership.. All kinds of plans - chuckies dry brining, ground meat for burgers, hot dogs, asparagus, many in-laws coming to visit..

And now seems it's going to rain pretty much continuously for the next 48 hours.

I know my approach to cooking in rain with pellets or gas - basically ignore it and open the lid less (and try really hard to find break in rain to refill pellet hopper!)

Anyone have tips for burning wood in the rain? Or just do what you'd do on a dry day but wear a raincoat??

And for using the side box as smoker...any suggested change in approach to chimney or damper etc?

​​​​

I have looked at those and they do look intriguing. I wish there were more videos out there of folks using them because I think the entire concept is solid.

As for rain, I can pull any of my cookers under our lanai but I do have two large umbrellas I can spread out over the top if necessary.

Once you get situated with this grill please share some opinions and good pics. Good luck!

Comment

I also use a large umbrella when it rains.

Comment

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        This sounds like a good plan

Yup. A patio umbrella should do the trick.
      Sounds like you’re in the north east. They’re calling for rain pretty much all weekend here in NY.

Comment

• das85
        das85 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup in Westchester not too far from you.. Pretty grim but could be worse!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahhhh Just over the bridge.

Here in NW Oregon, if you don't do it in the rain you won't do it at all.
      The truth is I am a fair-weather BBQ'r. But when needs are umbrella or set up a canopy. We have an 8x10' for camping.
      Or perhaps cook before and finish off in the kitchen.
      Happy grilling to you and the beverage [PBR] of your choice.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5EBCC17-FEAF-4B57-84C5-1E4E20BB0EF2.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	1037669

Comment

Thanks all... unfortunately don't have a patio umbrella but was able to get the fire lit in side box so hopefully will be OK from here.. Coming up to temp now, chuckies ready to go on! Also trying new wood supplier for first time and already excited about the smell.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. Good wood definitely has a GOOD smell.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, but this turned out well enough in the end.

Had a rough time holding a constant temp - seemed to need a bigger fire than usual to hold good temp while raining, then rain stopped and temp went through the roof, scaled bag to one log at a time then fire almost went out a couple of times, had to break some small pieces off and use as kindling to get it back going..

But when all the smoke cleared, ended up with some nicely pullable chuck with terrific bark, good asparagus, and two preparations of salmon (one cured, one not). Hungry crowd ate pretty much all of it, except the cured salmon which got refrigerated and then eaten with breakfast today.

Not sure exactly what I learned other than to pay constant attention in tricky weather, but at least I know it can be done. And I'm sure I'll get better with practice. Sorry didn't stop to take photos!

Also first try for my Tappecue wireless thermometers. Going through the Braten lid, wireless range was only a couple of feet (had to put receiver under the grill)...but more troubling, they stopped working after 4-5 hours which was disappointing (advertised as "4-12 hours depending on conditions"). I guess for now the longer cooks will still need wired probe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here