Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third Braten cook: ribs, PB burnt ends, asparagus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Braten cook: ribs, PB burnt ends, asparagus

Inspired by STEbbq (and what local butcher had on hand), decided to try ribs next. Found some very small baby backs (SYD Love Meat Tender) which cooked up pretty quickly. Also had some pork belly which seemed a good excuse to try burnt ends (Salt Lick Garlic Rub). And some asparagus (Spice House lemon pepper), for balance..

This time was a little more patient getting cooker hot and stable before putting food on, which I think helped.. But struggled midway through when I think I waited too long before putting next log on, temp dropped from 275ish to below 225 for a while, got it back up but overshot into 300+, eventually came back though.

Since Engelbrecht say they have a "hot spot" near the firebox, tried using that and the end of the cook to do some asparagus, which I thought was great and got rave reviews from wife (who often doesn't appreciate when I over-sear asparagus over direct heat).

Also took opportunity to sizzle the burnt ends after they came off by putting the pan on top of the firebox. Will definitely be repeating that trick.

As for the ribs...was very happy with bark and smoke flavor. They ended up a little tough but still enjoyable, and I'm chalking that up to how little meat was on them. Look forward to trying again with more meaty ribs.
    Attached Files

Looks beautiful!

Comment

Good job, and if the wife is happy...

Comment

Damn man, for only the third cook on the Braten, you are really getting it dialed in. That looks fantastic. Another few cooks and you will be killing it all the way around.

Comment

That looks amazing!!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

You’ve got the magic touch !!!!

Comment

Looks great!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here