Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered a Santa Maria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered a Santa Maria

Just put my deposit down on a 48x30 Santa Maria grill. I’m getting it built by Country Built Smokers (https://youtu.be/o4FxaNpZ8CI) because he’s close to me and prices are tough to beat. It’s a pretty basic version, but should do all I want it to. I’m going to ask if there’s any way to fab a removable cover to use it as a regular charcoal grill too.

Where do you think I would find a cover that fits a Santa Maria? I can’t keep it under my porch and don’t have a garage, so I want to protect it.

Any feed or hardware store. Or Amazon if you don't want to go out. ;-)

Comment

I hadn’t seen one tall enough or deep enough. 30” seems to be the deepest cover for grills I’ve seen, but it’s a little deeper than that with the handles on front. I searched for Santa Maria grill covers on Amazon, but just keep finding regular grill covers.

Comment

• Killa J
        Killa J commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I didn’t notice it was a link. That’s most likely what I’m going to do, was just hoping to up the wife-acceptance factor

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, they do come in camo, she might not even notice! ;-)

On a serious note, rare for me, there are places that make custom covers, but much spendier than a tarp.

• Killa J
        Killa J commented
        Editing a comment
        I might get a treated canvas tarp for it, they look pretty nice.

I can’t help with a cover, but that’s a really cool video! Looks like a nice grill as well. Enjoy it and post photos of your cooks on it!

Comment

That's a great looking grill. You're going to love cooking on live wood fire. For my Santa Maria grill, I just use a tarp that's large enough to double over and drape it over the grill enough to hang down to cover the fire box, and extend beyond the sides. I roll up the sides of the tarp and clip with large carpentry clips.

Comment

Coversandall.com is where I have picked up three covers that are wonderful. You can provide measurements and they custom make them for you. Not sure what it would cost for you, but I haven’t spent of $65 for the three I have picked up. My dad also has 2, they are made out of sunbrella material, so great product. You can also choose the color you would like.

just an option for you.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            You got in while I was Googling. I think I remember a thread about your covers. Unless it was someone else!

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a few custom covers from them too and can say they are quality covers.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            I have one of their covers. well made a good fit.

Google 'custom bbq covers'. Quite a few actually, 'Covers & All', 'Grillwraps', and 'Alco Custom Covers' 'Creative Covers' jumped out, but they are just a sampling.

BTW, there is a hyperlink embedded!

Comment

I had LSG make me a custom cover for my Santa Maria when I ordered it but it is form fitting and can be challenging to put on single handed as mine has a big wheel. I purchased a heavy duty canvas tarp with grommets which I can throw over the top bar, covering the entire grill, and fasten it together using carabiners through the grommets. I use this cover for everyday use and only use the custom cover for long term storage.

Comment

okay - I'm vicariously a cooker peeping Tom again... the shame. Anyway, I found covers I wanted - and very inexpensive - by looking for covers for other stuff, like firepits or main-supply propane tanks. Think outside the Santa Maria proverbial box, and you'll find exactly what you need.

Comment

I found a cover made for a grill island that’s deep enough and plenty wide, just not tall enough. In 3-4 months when the grill finally makes it to me, I’ll measure to make sure the cover would cover the entire firebox. I don’t care about the legs getting wet, just want to keep water out of the burn area.

Comment

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Common brother, you pony up for the queen of the ball and then dress her in droopy hand me downs? Get a perfect fit for your prize.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here