Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing my "braai"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing my "braai"

Hello Pitmasters,

in my introduction some of you noticed my braai. "braai" is the south african word for BBQ and for grill. Often a braai is just a gridiron over two stones with a simple woodfire. In my younger days I grilled over a bike basket but you had to wait until the paint was burnt by the flames to put the meat on. I´m very lucky, those days are gone.

My braai is a little bigger than a bike basket, but you´ll have to wait until you can start, too. The braai get´s his heat out of wood, that is burnt in the so called Embermaker. So you´ll have to use a higher amount of wood as in a barrelsmoker.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hDcjj%zHS%GCM8XtuW2YqA.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	633852

If the ember is ready, you can shift it around just to get the heat where you need it. After all you have heat from two different sides.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S48tFtlyQtaUtE2KueKOcQ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	633853

To get the targettemperature you need, you can put your steak into the tray. It is very easy to bake something in it or get some cheese on your food.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rk4FGMd8RP+FHUjso2zp%g.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	633854

After the braai it is wonderful to watch the fire and enjoy the evening, good friends or the family.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Br5KPOs2QVe0hyiTsB1o6w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	633855

There is enough space to cook in one or two dutch ovens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fZ3bIrHrSdyDk+tDVSM1cA.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	633856

And it is really a big landmark in the garden.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0jPo+k+FTPKP6b7%kvOLIg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	633857

It´s a complete outdoor kitchen and we have a lot of fun with it.

Cheerio

Yogi

I like what i see , it`s looks awesome !

Comment

That looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

That is pretty cool. Is it manufactured in Germany or South Africa?
        Last edited by Spacecase; February 8, 2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Duuuuude! This is incredible!

Comment

That is one seriously cool cooker!

Comment

I checked the website for prices for various models. I quickly realized that they must be like yachts. If you have to ask how much they cost you can't afford them. They still look pretty neat.

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              In South Africa it's about 13,000Rand which is about $1K US. In Europe they sell for more than double that. Weighs about 500lbs. We should get a group buy going to get a good price and fill up a shipping container.

• Yogi77
              Yogi77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Group buy would be a good idea. I paid 2300 EUR over here in Germany. But the dutch importer visited me personally to bring it. I think there is only a small group of users here in europe. but it is lot of fun and it really "ties the garden together". ;-)

WOW that's something.

Comment

Wow that is a super neat way to approach it...just shovel the coals as they burn and as you need them, and then it looks like you can adjust the grill height as well like a 3-position version of a Santa Maria. Very cool man. Looks spendy.

Comment

I think he just blew away the competition

Comment

Originally posted by adamcoe View Post
                  Wow that is a super neat way to approach it...just shovel the coals as they burn and as you need them, and then it looks like you can adjust the grill height as well like a 3-position version of a Santa Maria. Very cool man. Looks spendy.
                  You are right. You can use it in so many ways. The only thing that would be difficult is low and slow. You can use the trays for a sort of indirect grilling. And all the meat get´s a wonderful flavour because of the open wood fire. To shovel the coals is very important because it can get very hot in some places with the fresh dropped ember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GvrbHdVwTtedNKFdyhpXiw.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	634025

Comment

There are some really great "Braai" design's here in SA that I am sure would be interesting to folks who enjoy grilling. They just not conducive to low and slow smoking.Most folks have similar ones as shown here built to an entertainment area or at the pool area.or wherever they are fit. Still can't lie and slow.

Comment

Very nice. I will need to replace our Firepit/ Chimnea soon. I wonder if anyone has found options like that in the States?

Comment

Nice unit. That must be a ton of fun to cook on. Definitely not a set and forget type of cooker.

Comment

One of that or divorce.... it's a fupin tempting looking bit on the side

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here