Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences smoking on the Engelbrecht Braten 1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences smoking on the Engelbrecht Braten 1000?

Got a nice bonus from work and I’m seriously considering a purchase of the Braten 1000 with the current discount this month. I’m sold on the wood grilling capabilities but I was curious to know how successful folks have been using it as a stick burner with the offset firebox.

Looks like Meathead has! https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker...eries-original

Comment

I am soooooooo tempted .... If I didn't already have a Hasty-Bake, I would be figuring out how to get the Braten 1000.

Comment

I believe these members have them, let's see if they get this tag and are able to stop in and help... DoubleUpOrQuit jt0940 Splatt44

Comment

I heard the call for help! I just used my Braten 1000 and the offset box over Thanksgiving. Full disclosure, it was the first time running the unit using the offset box, I cooked a spatchcocked turkey. I learned the unit likes to run hot, at least hotter than my Old Country pit or my other custom vertical pit. With a little adjusting, I was able to dial it in fairly well at about 300°. Being it was a shorter length cook, I did not get a real crisply skin on the bird. Part of that might be my fault because I was basting it with butter during the cook.

My internal thermometer went off at 165° as it was asked, however, when I probed with my instant read the other side of the bird was about 15° behind. Learning this, I will next time rotate whatever I am cooking to get a more even distribution of the heat/smoke. Probably should have been doing this anyway.

Long story, short. The offset fire box worked as it should. I got a good smoke flavor on the turkey and was able to keep a nice clean smoke for most of the cook.

I have also used the main fire box a few times, most recently for some Picanha. Really liked the ability to raise and lower the cooking grate to help regulate the cook. Was able to get really good char and not burn the steak to a crisp.

So far, I have been very happy with the grill and look forward to testing it with more (longer) cooks soon. Hope this helps a little. Cheers!

Comment

• mrk
            mrk commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info DUOQ! That helps a lot!

Love to have one of those Engelbert Humperdinck units but just can't seem to justify the $2800 price tags. Still trying to earmark that amount of money for an insulated vertical cabinet. Having said that, if a grill is what you're after I'd say you could do a lot worse. As a smoker, I'm not convinced.

Comment

I've had mine for over a year and absolutely love it.. I've primarily only used the offset stick burning function.

I did do ribs a couple times with the Santa Maria function and it turned out quite amazing (once again only using wood)

It retains heat amazingly. You don't need much fuel in it because it's built like a army tank and heat lasts forever.

I would say without a doubt to get it. Since they never have sales now is a great time to jump in (I'm gonna jump on the rotisserie). Chris (owner) is a good guy and is very quick to respond.

Comment

• Timcee
              Timcee commented
              Editing a comment
              mrk You also might want to consider how many ppl you will want to cook for generally. Do you have any additional cookers as well?

• mrk
              mrk commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a Weber Summit Charcoal as well as a Solaire infrared. I got both on ridiculous good deals (especially the Solaire at 75% off new). Also looking to replace my former pit boss pellet grill but if I get the Braten I’ll have to get something small and storable (three cooker limit on the patio).
              Last edited by mrk; December 8, 2018, 06:15 PM.

• Timcee
              Timcee commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yea you're def set... The Braten is big but the cooking area isn't "that big" for smoking (maybe 4-5 St. Louis slabs)
              However the versatility and quality of the machine is unbeatable!

I go to their web site about once a week and drool. They are without a doubt the top shelf Santa Maria style grill out there. I really miss my AZ BBQ Outfitters trailer mounted Santa Maria I sold earlier this year. I stashed that money away for another purchase but I really need to get another trailer rig.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here