Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS Impatience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks like a lot of fun!

TX Larry

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      It is, Larry!

That thing looks awesome! A santa maria is definitely on my list!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      You are in the right neck of the woods!

I'm really excited about your Santa Maria. I use it for most every cook. It is a fantastic finishing tool after a long smoke and for SV. I'm glad you contacted the company for accessories. If you get the charcoal raiser, put an old throw away grill on top of it. It really helps it from warping. I typically use really small splits of wood for grilling and the bigger ones for longer BBQ's. I also have an aluminum pan on hand to cover steaks or chicken. I grill, cover, remove cover and flip. You will find that not only do you have good temperature control by raising and lowering the grill, but you can set up some fantastic zones right to left with wood. Did I mention I was excited? Hahahahaha!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you mean a rain cover or a metal smoking type cover? The rain cover is really important - 2 inches of rain can be a foot of water inside. Also, as I mentioned, an ash pan underneath the charcoal riser really helps preserve the unit.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I have both types of covers and I ordered a large sheet pan as you suggested. My grill has a hole in the bottom for water drainage, but it looked like an ember could just as easily slip through and cause a problem. I stuck a 3/8" bolt through it.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good job. Mine doesn’t have a hole and I would be scared if it did. The bolt idea is actually really good. You can drain it if you have to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charcoal.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	590980Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	590981Click image for larger version

Name:	Flame.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	590982Click image for larger version

Name:	Press.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	590983Click image for larger version

Name:	Burgers.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	590984Click image for larger version

Name:	Smashed.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	590985Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheesy.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	590986Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	590987Click image for larger version

Name:	Melty.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	590988Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunny.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	590989Click image for larger version

Name:	Yummy.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	590990
    Here you go Big Mike. I don't have an Instagram or Twitter account. Otherwise, I would put a hashtag of some sort to show I love my Santa Maria and GrillGrates on them!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh HELL YEAH!!!! We SB's on CI last night but I'm sure they weren't that good!

Top notch pics on all fronts. TThe cooker a burnin was killer, then a scrumptious layout for dinner. 👍 👍 👍

Comment

Very Cool...Looks Great!

Comment

Hell YES!!!!! Those look incredible Bro! Where'd ya get that burger making weight? Looks super handy.

Comment

Nice! The final cooker to add to my collection.
          Gonna hafta take the plunge one o’ these days...SMG, some red oak, and a bunch of tri-tip: heaven.

(I say "final" but we all know the optimal number of cookers is N+1)

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            santamariagrills.com brother, they're in your neck of the woods. Great customer service and I can't recommend them enough.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptainMike Oh yeah, I’ve been on their site more than once. ;-)
            Have even threatened to drop by sometime seeing as I sometimes work near there in Lompoc. (Vandenberg AFB) Right around the corner compared to some of my jaunts.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Say hi to Kerry for me if you go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	601784Click image for larger version

Name:	Steak.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	601785Click image for larger version

Name:	Steak 2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	601786Click image for larger version

Name:	Covered Steak.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	601787Click image for larger version

Name:	Steak on plate.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	601788Click image for larger version

Name:	No banding.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	601789
          Here you go Big Mike. Started with 1 min per side right above the fire. Raised grill and covered with pan. 3 min per side, rotating three times for a total of 12 minutes. Lowered to fire level again 1 minute per side and brushed with soy sauce, olive oil and blackened seasoning. Temp pulled = 135. Rested 10 minutes. No SV, no banding despited the initial hot sear.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Love how you're using the Grill Grates!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey tbob4, you're killin' it man !!!!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySueQ - Grillgrates was awesome about sending me exactly what I needed a year after buying the Santa Maria. Have never looked back. Troutman - thanks a ton. You are in no slump. I promise! A slump to someone who bats .400 is .350. That is no slump to someone who bats .200. You have a Ted Williams average. I'm a .250 hitter.

Great thread. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            You would love the Santa Maria. I use it all of the time. It is a great tool for finishing food from a long smoke to SV. It takes very little fuel to get a tip roaring fire. I got really excited when CaptainMike started this post.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here