Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS Impatience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS Impatience!

I cleaned up, wire wheeled, and disc ground most of the rust off, but just couldn't wait for it to be finished. First firing and cook. Used a lot of wood but I wanted to burn it in. Did a traditional Santa Maria tri tip dinner with a side of brats. This grill is going to be a lot of fun to use, especially for a crowd.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sm.1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	589943
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sm.2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	682.3 KB ID:	589944
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sm.3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	589945
    Click image for larger version  Name:	sm.4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	589946
    Last edited by CaptainMike; November 8, 2018, 11:45 AM.

The TT was little more done than I was shooting for, but if there's still some pink then it's still good.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Man, how cool is it to see this thing in action!

Comment

Nice "Braai" way to go.

Comment

That's cool. I want one! The food looks great!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I called Santa Maria BBQ outfitters to acquire some parts and Kerry was fantastic to work with!

Very nice.

Comment

That looks awesome! Did cooking it this way produce a different flavor profile than had you cooked this on your WSCG?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Very much so. It's difficult to describe, but meat cooked over an open fire (with oak) is different than cooking over charcoal with oak chips or chunks. Both are equally good, just different. Plus, it's just plain fun to get the fire going and and cook on a quality grill.

Awesome Capt. Your like me. When I get a new toy I have to play with it NOW... And nice first cook.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Steve!

Thanx for posting - very nice job.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Ron!

Awesome...he says gushing jealousy over not having one !!!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

You're doin' it right Mike. I customized a POS CBG ~ 3 months ago that I've only roasted peppers on (which made me go blind). I'm doing the first full packers on it this weekend - both boneless trimmed - pork loin and beef eye of round.

That is SUCH a nice grill. I use a tripod over a fire pit (which would be grill #7 if I had thought to list it with my other 6 earlier today).

What do you think about comparing an adjustable grate hanging from a tripod over a fire pit to a Santa Maria grill? Apples & Oranges or maybe a similar flavor profile?

I wasn't shy - my first cook on the 'pod' was a massive pork bone-in roast that was brined for ~ 3 days. I didn't do hot dogs. Open-air split-wood licked-by-fire-cooked-meat is amazing in its own right. Different. (I was goin' for a hyphen record back there...) I had to turn it, and turn it, and turn it some more, four hours. Same with yours, or one flip?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Probably the biggest difference is the fire and heat are contained and a bit more focused with the SMG than an open fire. Flavor is likely the same, and yes, I flipped a lot (nature of the beast). It's in the shop now awaiting it's new coat of paint.

Another new toy? You may never go inside again, CaptainMike . Enjoy!

Kathryn

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Or CaptainMike maybe a grate companion?

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JGo37 you need a guy following you around to do rimshots! Maybe a sad trombone guy as well.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wait, I AM SPARTACUS ......

Fantastic. Nice restoration job in progress. Great looking cook too.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here