Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newly Acquired Santa Maria Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Acquired Santa Maria Grill

I got this from Santa Craig yesterday for $50 bucks. It is a 20 x 30 santamariagrills.com that needs a little TLC and a dab of paint. It has an interesting lid, but I think I'll have to install an adjustable vent and dome thermometer, what do ya'll think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa Maria.1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	589067

Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa maria.2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	589068

Been wanting one myself, good find. Too bad you can’t bead blast it and give it a good paint job. Personally I’d ditch the cover, SM cookers are suppose to be open pit style anyway.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's going to clean up pretty well with a little wire wheel work and sanding. I'm scratching my head a little on the lid as well and don't see the benefit. I don't see where they even offer it on their website. I have other cookers for those meals anyway.

It has some project aspects to it, but it looks sound and solid. I think it will be useful, effective, and a lot of fun!

Comment

You didn’t just git it, you stole that sucker. Waitin for the tutorial & first cook!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll keep ya updated!

Congrats! I'm thinking there's a tri-tip (or 10) in your future ...

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        That'll be the first cook!

That's awesome, I've always wanted on of those. Perfect size for a humble backyard cremator (to quote the famous Danjohnston949 )

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        JakeT, Quote Away My Honored Friend❗️❓❗️
        Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND,
        Dan

That's a great find. I can't wait to see it all cleaned up!

Comment

I agree with Troutman and forget the cover. Enjoy the fun of cooking over a live wood fire. The flavor is fantastic.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure! If I had a dime for every tri tip I've cooked on a SM grill I would, to quote Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles, have a $h!tload of dimes!
          Last edited by CaptainMike; November 6, 2018, 04:23 PM.

I’m envious of the grill and the deal. Good find.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Don, I'm pretty excited about putting in in service.

Nice score Capt. The grill looks like just a little TLC and you’re golden.
        The lid, well, ??? Looks home made to me. Don’t think I would bother with it myself.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          The lid is actually very well made, but I still doubt it's utility. Hmm, maybe cooking in the rain or snow.....Nah.

You can mount that cover on the side frame upside down and turn it into a firebox to make it An Argentine parrilla as well.. The grill itself needs a door on the front for cleaning and some large holes to let the air in for coals and fire to breathe.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I was hoping you would chime in!

Nice score, and gives you a project to keep you busy.

Comment

Looks like you have all the important parts! Nice score!!

Comment

That's a great deal, Brother!!!!

Jus a lil Sweat Equity, an it'll be puttin out some Fabulous Foods...

I'm lookin forward to yer Journey!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I think you're starting to rub off on me a little. I keep searching CL and local want ads for wayward grills and such.

Cool! Lookin' forward to the first cook report.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here