Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engelbrecht Braten 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Scott! They got good reviews on the taste. Salted the night before, and rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust. If I'm critiquing my own work, I'd give them a B. I just didn't get the tenderness right. More practice!

Comment

I've been thinking about one of these and will be interested to get more reviews on the offset smoker functionality.

Comment

Congrats!! I have this grill and absolutely love it! I see that you foiled the bottom which is the way to go for cleanup.. I've had some fantastic turnouts with this cooker and you're right, it will last you a lifetime! Congrats again to the last cooker needed!

Comment

Originally posted by Timcee View Post
          Congrats!! I have this grill and absolutely love it! I see that you foiled the bottom which is the way to go for cleanup.. I've had some fantastic turnouts with this cooker and you're right, it will last you a lifetime! Congrats again to the last cooker needed!
          How long have you had yours? Can you tell us how much you've used the offset smoker and if it works every bit as well as an offset smoker? I'm always slightly suspicious of dual-purpose things such as this because my experience (in completely different product categories) has been that it does both things ok but neither function really well. I mean, would one be any better off with a separate grill and smoker? Hope I'm making sense...

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotbum View Post

How long have you had yours? Can you tell us how much you've used the offset smoker and if it works every bit as well as an offset smoker? I'm always slightly suspicious of dual-purpose things such as this because my experience (in completely different product categories) has been that it does both things ok but neither function really well. I mean, would one be any better off with a separate grill and smoker? Hope I'm making sense...

Thanks.
            I think I understand what you're asking, and to that I say I have used both functions with complete success and with nothing desired (meaning not lacking in one area more than the other)
            I've had mine since the summer of last year (bought from another amazing rib member unbeknownst to me) and it ended up being the grill that Bobby Flay used on his tv show (after speaking with the owner of the company and checking serials, etc.)

I've smoked brisket and ribs that were probably my favorite (I have 5 other grills/smokers) and have turned around and used the SM grill function and have done steaks, burgers, etc. that were great! I've almost stopped using my other smokers/grills completely. Every now and then I'll break out the pellet grill bc of speed and ease in getting things up to temp to cook.

This grill/smoker is built like a tank and holding on to heat and or adjusting it has been quite easy for me, especially being as though this is my first (and last) offset.
            The only thing I wish for is the capacity to cook more (maybe a second rack shelf that could be added when you're using the offset function. I guess you can't have everything, but this gets me pretty darn close. I had my eye on this for a long time and am more than happy with it.

Hope this helps..
            Last edited by Timcee; March 30, 2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

For the questions on the offset smoker capabilities: I’ve done two cooks so far, and posted them both here. The steak over a cherry wood fire was a 10/10. My ribs on the offset smoker were probably a 7/10.

I have never BBQ’d offset until last Saturday. I wasn’t at all familiar with how to manage the pit. I started with two chimneys full of lump charcoal. It was about 30 degrees, and I saw an instructional video recommend the two chimney method as a basis for starting. Then you preheat the logs before throwing them on the coals.

Well, this was way too hot. It immediately set the temps up over 320 degrees (as measured by my remote digital thermometer, not the built in gauge on the grill.) I put two logs on at first, and that maintained the high temperatures. I didn’t put the ribs on until it dropped to around 250, and that was around an hour after the coals were put in.

The fire maintenance wasnt easy. The coal beds diminished quickly. I wasn’t really able to dial it in near 225 for any extended amount of time. It was usually hotter.

At one point, I added a log, and went to get something from the garage. I was gone for about 10 minutes, not monitoring the temps, and I heard my thermometer beeping. I went back inside and saw my temp was under 200, which didn’t make sense after adding a new log at 230.

It turned out my log had fallen off the coal bed and was emitting a bunch of smoke, and not providing any heat. This was over 3 hours in to the cook. I thought my ribs were runined, but decided to keep going.

I got the wood burning again, and finished with a hard out time of 5.5 hours. I just assumed the ribs would be done at that point.

Turns out the flavor was great. It wasn’t oversmoked or bitter. Even with the late smoke in the chamber, and the fluctuation of temps. They just weren’t tender enough. They could have used another hour.

So, basically, I would more blame myself than the grill. The grill held the temps real well. I just couldn’t get them as low as I wanted. I will start with one chimney next time, and see how it goes.

Planning to make a rack of lamb for Easter, and still debating whether to offset smoke it, or fire grill it. I hope to have another offset smoke review soon, though.

Comment

• Timcee
                Timcee commented
                Editing a comment
                Also with the ribs I get impatient and foil them (Texas crutch) after getting enough smoke on them and it also speeds up the cooking process

• jt0940
                jt0940 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. Did you leave the chimney all the way open? It’s going to take a little getting used to, but I’m eager to try again!

• Timcee
                Timcee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I leave the chimney completely opened and never touch it and just adjust temps with the firebox.. It's def different from other offsets dampers.. As you've said bc the metal is so thick it takes a min to get temps down once too hot.. That's the issue I had but after dialing a few times I've managed to find a semi sweet spot for temps (not perfected yet)

Nice. Thanks for the advice! Thought I was going to be able to give it another go tomorrow, but travel plans changed. Looking forward to testing this method. Much appreciated!

Comment

• Timcee
                Timcee commented
                Editing a comment
                We're learning together! Be safe and travel easy!

Just noticed this post. I’ve had mine for 5 years or so, never tried the off set until recently, it didn’t go to well. I posted about that. I’m inspired to give it another shot. My biggest problem was just too much smoke...bad smoke. How do you set the air intake and chimney?

Comment

• Timcee
                Timcee commented
                Editing a comment
                especially if I tended the logs to get enough oxygen. The temps in this grill comes back up quite fast so i don't get worried

• SierraBBQGuy
                SierraBBQGuy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, I’m determined to figure this thing out!

• Timcee
                Timcee commented
                Editing a comment
                And you will!

Awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here