Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engelbrecht Braten Gen IV 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for my fellow Braten owners: Would you recommend putting foil under the wood grates and/or the bottom of the side fire box for easy cleanup? Or would the foil be too close to the heat, and emit some sort of less than desirable gas? I'm especially curious as it applies to low and slow cooking. Would you put foil on the bottom of the main chamber to catch the grease?

Related, I posted pics of my first cook on my Braten thread. Thanks for all the guidance!

Comment

• Splatt44
      Splatt44 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t put any foil, I find the cleanup quite easy. I bought a wood grate cleaner and use that to scrape. 3-5 min cleanup tops.

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      I do use foil under the grates, makes clean up a snap

Some cool pics from a quick chicken dinner.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Splatt44
      Splatt44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Birds the ok about 30 ish min. I was keeping track of temp not time.

• Splatt44
      Splatt44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude, your dog is looking a little sick.

Which one of you guys is gonna do some low and slow on the Braten and tell us all about ...w pics. I'm soooo curious about how it preforms.

Comment

• jt0940
      jt0940 commented
      Editing a comment
      *Planning* on Stick burning some ribs on Saturday. Just waiting to see if the weather and schedules cooperate.

I did, earlier in this thread, so so results. I’m sure someone with experience using a stick burner could do just fine. I’ll be trying again soon.

Comment

Snakeriver American Wague Gold Grade Cap of Ribeye. Oh man. Melt in your mouth tender. Almost to tender. Cooked MR flake salt and pepper a couple hrs prior to looking. (Maybe a little to early). Also finished with a glaze of olive oil, aged balsamic, maple syrup and some garlic actually it was unnecessary and maybe a little to rich with the high fat content. A great piece of meat. If your looking for that once in a wile treet go for it.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jt0940
        jt0940 commented
        Editing a comment
        Snake river? Nice! I thought about splurging for a four pack of their ribeye’s, but my savings account just shook its head at me. Maybe sometime this summer. Did you notice a big difference from your local store product?

• Splatt44
        Splatt44 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huge. I have to say. It was completely unique. I don’t have to eat that every day but it was an experience. I bought it in a great sale. The cap and 4 small prime rib cuts Wague Gold $255. With shipping.

• jt0940
        jt0940 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Well, it’s good to know that the price and the quality at least align.

Last night if only tried the offset box. Had to smoke some cheese. Picked a few of my favorites that we are serving at our anual meat eaters dinner on April. Cher’s takes a few weeks to set up so I like to get done early. I found the Braten relatively predictable to control. Kept the temp at 75-85 for about three hrs. Only used apple wood. Here are some pics. Sorry forgot the after pics. Cheeses picked up good color. Now they are sealed to let the oils do there thing and bring the smoke inside.
      Attached Files

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That cheese! Fantastic cook. Great to see this rig used as a smoker.

Super nice from a Kamado Guy. It is always so great to have a manufacturer take pride in their work all the way through to shipping and delivery.

Beatiful cooks.

M.
      Last edited by Mark E.; March 29, 2018, 07:40 AM. Reason: add

Comment

So I just watched one of Meathead’s videos, and saw a Braten 1000 grill in the yard, is he holding out on us? He only used it to light a chimney of charcoal though, looks like it’s never been cooked on.
        Whats up with that?

Comment

• jt0940
          jt0940 commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny you mention that. I noticed it about 2 days before my grill arrived! I wondered what he was doing only lighting a chimney of charcoal on it!

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          He uses it in one video. I don’t remember which - maybe the salmon one?

It was the Rockin Pastrami Ruben Sandwichs, I think I’ve seen others where he uses it as a lighter!

Comment

That’s an expensive lighter. I’ll trade Hume for this nice bic I have. Only been used a few times.

Comment

Spatchcocked a whole organic chicken tonight. Dry brined it for 4 hours, then hit it with the Simon and Garfunkel rub. Cooked it for about an hour and 15 minutes over cherry wood. It was delicious.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Splatt44
              Splatt44 commented
              Editing a comment
              looks delicious. Nice fire, I dig your style.!!!

Have you used the side fire Box? What are the results as a smoker?

Comment

I just ordered a new Englebrecht Braten Gen IV 1000. 10 weeks for estimated production. Who knows, maybe I will have it by the 4th of July! Just curious if there is a Users forum for the Braten, here in the Pit - or anywhere else. There appears to be very little info provided from the manufacturer. I can't even find Part 2 of @ Max Good's video despite the link that pops up when watching Part 1.

My path to an Englebrecht was quite sudden. I went out to use my Weber 22" Performer (circa 1997) late last week, and came back to report to my wife that the one-touch cleaner on the bottom had finally broken. We had been talking for some time that it was getting tired and worn, and certainly outlived the expected lifetime when we bought it. I've bought new grates a few times - been through every contraption sold for it at some point. It worked/works fine - just didn't look very good, and little things were always failing. Kind of like a once nice used car that is going into the shop too often for repairs.

I was angling to replace it with a WSCG, but was lamenting that I hadn't bought the prior version and talking about the expense and changes in the current Kamado style. I have a GBG pellet pooper that this will augment. I really needed something to sear with as the pellet stove doesn't do that well, and I have been utilizing sous-vide a lot. I've taken to searing more and more inside on the cast iron rather than outside on the kettle. I remarked that the price on the WSCG Kamado w/ table really puts you into a whole new class and maybe I should consider the Hasty Bake. I pulled up the list of Platinum charcoal grills and handed it to her as I went outside to cook up asparagus lamb on the kettle.

I came back and asked if she had a chance to look at them.. She looked at me and said "yes, and I think you should get the Engelbrecht". She thought it would give me something new to master, yet allow me to use charcoal when needed and would fit right in with the other cooker. After a weekend of reading nearly everything I could find on this and every comparable charcoal cooker, researching hardwood supply (still tough in Alaska, but out there), I decided to take the advice shared by many and not waste my wife's encouraging word. I ordered it (cough cough - damn expensive) this morning.

Back to the User forum. I'm already wondering what mods would go well with it. Anyone attached an ATC device to it? Sealed up the fire door, modified baffles, added a brasero (or used the offset box), etc. Dozens of ideas and use questions.

Comment

There’s a Facebook group

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here