Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engelbrecht Braten Gen IV 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splatt44 and SierraBBQGuy can you fit 2 full packer briskets on there? How many racks of St Louis ribs?

Comment

• Splatt44
      Splatt44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cooking area is 30x17. This is his small version. You do the math. I think 1 packer 4 racks??

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Splatt44 got it, thanks.

I know meat is king here but chicken and vegetables were the next cook for me. Just trying different things. The first pics are self explanatory. The rotisserie has two recipes, on the left is Peruvian, right just simple roasted. Everything came out with great campfire flavor.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Just awesome! You sir are the king of your backyard!

• Splatt44
      Splatt44 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the only place I am king. Thanks.

That is a sweet grill/smoker. Looks very well made.

Comment

Was the rotisserie included or did you have to purchase that in addition to cost of the grill?
      Looks awesome but the way, nice cook.

Comment

• Splatt44
        Splatt44 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s an additional piece. And thank you.
        Last edited by Splatt44; January 23, 2018, 06:28 PM.

Fun with my toys today.

Got to smoke a brisket, and do some grilling. And it’s still January. Not a bad day
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice set up you've got there. Two quality rigs. Keep those pics coming.

Comment

What a beautiful setup! Can't wait to see what else you're cooking on it...and how! OK, off to their website for some casual reading...

Comment

• Splatt44
            Splatt44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!! It all starts with www. Hope you had a good read.

Curious to see how well it works as smoker, I’ve not tried on mine yet

Comment

• Splatt44
            Splatt44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Me neither. I was thinking of using the offset as more of a side burner. Using a pot or cast iron pan if needed.

Incredible pics and an incredibly beautiful rig.
          I love this thing.
          Curious how much wood are you going through with each cook?

Comment

• Splatt44
            Splatt44 commented
            Editing a comment
            So far for a regular cook. Veg, meat... nothing crazy about 5-8 pices 4”x15” logs. It’s not to bad. I’m still trying to figure out the sweet spot. And thanks, appreciate the kind words.

I decided to give mine a try as an offset smoker. Read up and watched a few videos on making the fire. Loaded up the box with some Kingsford, and put an almond log on top. The local grocery store had a big bag of this almond firewood, I think that should work OK?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	453863

I figure I will need to baby sit the fire a lot, so decided to do something that doesn't take all day, ribs.

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	453864

After 45 minutes, still pouring out too much smoke, need to tame this thing down a bit.

Name:	IMG_1131.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	453865

Name:	IMG_1129.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	453866

After an hour, temps are holding OK, as usual, the built in thermometer is not same as the temp on the grate.

Name:	IMG_1137.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	453867

Still putting out more smoke than I would want to see from my BGE or WSM, but time to press on. I guessing its gonna have some bitter smoke flavor, will know for sure in 5-6 hrs. Maybe this firewood wasn't the best choice?

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	453868

Comment

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            Try opening the vent more on the firebox. From what I’ve read it sounds like you need to supply lots of air to reduce the smoke.

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no idea how well almond wood works for smoking, good luck and post more picks.

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            right on the money, been playing with the air vent, opening it up helps the white smoke a lot...but also spikes the temp.

How does the Almond Wood smell when cooking? I don't think I have heard of others using it. Interesting.

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            like a campfire...lol its just what the store was selling for firewood! its all I could find this morning.

three hours in, the color is looking good, so decided to wrap, with a little hot sauce and vinegar. They are not nearly as dark as this picture looks...really!!

Name:	IMG_1139.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	454006

Comment

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            What is the verdict? How did they turn out?

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            That seems counter intuitive, ever other smoker I have will increase the temp by opening the top vent? Based on what I read, I have the top vent open about 1/2.

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            That air has to escape and travel through the cooking chamber. If it can’t escape then it’s going to be more likely to retain heat in the cooking chamber. My theory fwiw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	44644EF7-5535-49B6-A57D-42ED23F33AE9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	454237Click image for larger version  Name:	BFA56F83-9811-490C-BD91-6A7026B318AB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	454236 Here they are, great smoke ring, very tender and juicy....but just too much smoke for my taste. I think a smaller hotter fire is needed; small to keep the temp down and hot to keep the smoke clean. I can see managing a stick burner like this requires a fair ammount of skill. I probably could get the hang of it with a lot of practice, but not sure of the advantage over my BGE or WSM, either of which don’t seem to require as much tending to the fire. I also don’t care for a lot of smoke, my preference in these other smokers is just charcoal, with little or no added hardwood.

This is is a great grill, it does a terrific job for grilling over wood, which is why I bought it. I think Splatt44 and I are the only ones here who use it.
          Last edited by SierraBBQGuy; February 13, 2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Splatt44
            Splatt44 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been working with wood only. Also may want to cut out the charcoal. Oak has given me the most mellow flavor. I like big smoke my family just wants hot food. Oak has made us both happy. I burn a few logs down to embers then drop a log on before cooking. More logs more smoke. If you just want heat leave embers.

• SierraBBQGuy
            SierraBBQGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            You have used the offset?

• Splatt44
            Splatt44 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not yet.

yeah, won't give up so easily, I'll post over at that forum, really not sure how well this was designed to be used as a stick burner.

Comment

I think you’re right, smaller fire, more oxygen, and try oak wood.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here