Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade my Bobby Flay's grill for new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade my Bobby Flay's grill for new?

So I found out that the Engelbrecht grill I bought and posted about bringing it back to beauty was actually Bobby Flay's grill from the food channel and that there could possibly be a trade on it.. Hmmm

(making it short) I contacted the company to ask for parts to replace, and they asked me for pics of it. The next email I got was from Chris the owner saying that he had been looking or wondering where this grill was. They sent it to the FC for Bobby's show and after a couple of shows the legal got involved and wanted the company to support the show but when they refused they etched out the name (which was another strange thing I had wondered about the grill)

The grill disappeared and ended up in my hands after having it shipped here (Ca.) from Arizona. The owner said they did different bushings and other things for this grill (so one of a kind?)
    However, he proposed trading this grill (because they would love it back for the novelty aspect and possibly to auction for charity) for a newer model but only with credit towards the newer grill..

The newer grill is around 2800.. I paid 1600 with shipping and such.. Should I? What would you suggest the terms be or should I keep and grill on?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	393646

Quite the conundrum...I'm going to ponder this one for a little while.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Suggestion: having a pint glass in hand makes pondering much more enjoyable......

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Dammit, why didn't I think of that when I went home for lunch?!

So they are only proposing to give you partial credit toward a new grill? Unless you are unhappy with this one for some reason, or really like the features on the newer models, I personally would say that I have a grill that works great for what I do, and if you want it, you'll need to replace it with a new one at no cost to me. They contacted you about wanting it, no need for you to pay more for a grill when you already have one.

Comment

• Georgia rookie 903
      Georgia rookie 903 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you and Captain mike keep it and ask them how bad do you want it? just about everything has a price

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      definitely agree and the email sent closed the issue..

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with MarkSimmers . This is a negotiation, so if they want it bad enough due to the Flay novelty then they'll send a new one!.

I'm going to opine passing. You paid $1600 along with some sweat and elbow grease (and likely more cash) to get it back into condition. Accepting the trade in will cost you more time packing and shipping. And you'll dish out more for a 'brand' new one when you have one that is in just as good condition (thanks to you) and now has added value as you possess an email from the company owner confirming your grill was used by a celebrity chef. Unless you are being handsomely compensated for your labours and time, why bother?

BTW, this seems like a great business model. When someone calls for parts express an interest in the grill and offer to accept it as a trade in towards a new one. I hope the auto dealerships don't get a hold of this one......

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly.. Why bother! check the email sent below..

I agree with both MarkSimmers and ComfortablyNumb.

Comment

So, you’ve got an amazing grill at a great price that required significant effort on your part…

The manufacturer wants that particular grill for either nostalgic or marketing purposes, so it has intrinsic as well as actual value.

I don’t recall from your original post, did it have the Argentine grates or just the standard? I’d guess that I wouldn’t mind an even trade for new, but I’d think about asking for some upgrades on the trade. They would definitely have to cover shipping both ways.

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        No Argentine grates and they "offered" that I pay for shipping both ways... ummm...no

At an absolute minimum. Straight up trade, no cost or effort to you. The company pays all additional costs, shipping both ways including packaging your grill plus reimbursement to you for your time and expenses to get it in the condition that its currently in. Also if there were any modifications or upgrades from stock (that you want) to the original, you get those too. They don't really want the grill, they want the story and the provenance. Those have value and should not be discarded for the luster of a new grill or their corporate benefit.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup II.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I came here to post essentially the same thing. No way would I do the deal they propose.

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea.. not so much.. I thought the deal was a little bad by giving credit but wanted me to pay for shipping to and from.. check the response below..

Originally posted by coupster View Post
      At an absolute minimum. Straight up trade, no cost or effort to you. The company pays all additional costs, shipping both ways including packaging your grill plus reimbursement to you for your time and expenses to get it in the condition that its currently in. Also if there were any modifications or upgrades from stock (that you want) to the original, you get those too. They don't really want the grill, they want the story and the provenance. Those have value and should not be discarded for the luster of a new grill or their corporate benefit.
      Totally agree with coupster on this one. About the only thing I can add is to invite Bobby Flay over to cook on it one last time, take a few selfless selfies with Bobby and then cash in on the new grill.

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        btw Craigar .. Whatever happened to your situation with the weber attachment? Often wondered about that situation.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Timcee I finally got involved by sending an email to the manufacturer and cc'd the BBQ shop. Funny thing happened, it showed up on my front doorstep less than a week later. All said and done, it took 7 months to finally get the part I needed. Needless to say I have not stepped foot in that store since, nor have I heard a word from him.

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        People don't understand the power of good or bad news traveling.. They seem to completely ignore it sometimes in the "service" industry. I'm happy that you got the part however.. Who knew you could've had it 7 months earlier! Good on the company for being reputable!

Oh heck no!! They need to make you Whole with a new updated grill. All the gain is for them in an upsell.

would you llike to supersize that! You have a grill, they called you, you spent 1600 because that was your budget.

what a chump they think you must be. I don't like that comapy now. All the people above are right.

tell them to beat it!kick bricks, take a hike, make themselves scarce, hit the road.

Your new price is cash, not product. Tell them they can have for $2.800. PayPal, or cash.

They offer you 1600 which includes their margin.

im getting ticked.

deposit their money or make some food.

Erik

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Relax amigo, no need to get angry about it. In the art of negotiation you never put your best offer first. Timcee is in the driver's seat and either way he wins. He'll have a grill with a great backstory or a new grill and a Costco gift card to get some meat to break it in, and a great backstory!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        "tell them to beat it!kick bricks, take a hike, make themselves scarce, hit the road."

I would only add "pound sand."

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea after the rest of the deal offered (check email below) your sentiments of "what to do" quickly raced across my mind to send in response.. lol

BTW, Timcee have you searched for a video of the episode the grill was used on? That would be nice to have to impress the crowd at your next BBQ bash.

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        No but he sent a pic of Bobby using it.. below..
        Last edited by Timcee; October 14, 2017, 10:02 PM.

Interesting Story. Let it soak for a bit, I bet they will be calling you soon. If not call them and ask for Bobby Flays contact info. That might Stir the pot a little. Have Fun. Today you are the Pigeon, and They are the Statue.

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be using my best pigeon abilities after the offer below!

A lot of folks read your post as they were going to credit you less for the grill than a new one was worth... not sure I read it that way... I kind of took that as they trade you a new one but they weren't going to buy it from you for cash... so maybe straight trade for the same model or that money towards the larger one and you make up the difference... maybe I'm wrong... could you clarify?

either way my thought is you have a personal story with that grill and now a celebrity novelty story with it... personally if I liked it and it was in good shape I would keep it... flip side is not many folks are probably interested in acquiring that Cooker for a premium just because of the novelty factor so if you can "profit" off it and they novelty has little value to you personally then go for it....

One other thing to consider... if they are crediting you less than what a new one costs... you mentioned ordering parts and such for it... depending on the cost of those parts, what they offer for credit, and what a new vs used Cooker is worth to you then it just a simple math problem... unless you just think it is cool that Bobby Flay cooked on it....

btw... you going as Bobby Flay for Halloween? Asking for a friend....

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't really care that bobby used it but I know many others would.. Which definitely drives it value up no? It would seem as though (according to the email response below) that how others read is correct. Looks like I'll be going for the parts to fix up what needs to be fixed

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        It is nice when they make the decision that easy for you! Let us know how you like it and maybe do a review of it once you get it fixed and gowing the way you want.

I'm of the opinion, following along with some others ideas, that you a) have a working grill, so no need to replace; b) put effort into reconditioning said grill, so it has extra 'value' to you; c) their cost is far below $2800, so apples to apples, they are still getting a deal even if they do an even trade; d) you'll lose the "I grill/smoke on Bobby Flay's old smoker" line. Supply and demand say that you have the supply, they have the demand. I'm not advocating raking them over the coals (pun intended), but you are in the catbird seat.

Comment

ComfortablyNumb ok I'm feeling better now. One of my issues is we chose to raise the children of addicts and surrounded ourselves with all of the glory that comes with that life and foster/adoption/social services. As a result I have little patience for what would appear to be "at face value" dishonesty or some one trying to "Take."

I had had a long shift last night and likely was a sensitive. Lesson learned.

BTW Timcee nice find! I'm sure whate ever you work out will be great.
        Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with a little passion.

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with a little passion for sure! After the response from them, I appreciate it even more.. LOL

OK so you have a commodity that may have a certain amount of celebrity appeal attached to it. I would take and advertise such on eBay or Craigslist for say $3000 OR HIGHEST OFFER for this one of a kind gem. I mean really talk this thing up like it’s the founding of the lost ark. Then go purchase the new one and stick the profits into your pocket or buy more toys !! Just spit ballon’ here.

Comment

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          The spit ballon' actually is a consideration after the "offer".. Check below..

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here