Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argentine vs Santa Maria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argentine vs Santa Maria

Can someone​ tell me what is the reason someone would get an Argentine grill over a Santa Maria grill and vise versa. thanks

Welcome Lost In The Desert

Comment

I can't answer your question, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Yes, because they want to, or if they got one then they would have to wait to get the other so they would have both. Have you ever heard of MCS?

Comment

The basic difference between an "American" Argentine Grill and a Santa Maria Grill, from what I have found, is the grill grates. They typically use the same technology for raising and lowering the grill. An Argentine grill has a V shaped grate that slopes down and forward. As juices run off the meat they sizzle up and run off. On a Santa Maria grill the grate is more customary and the juices go onto the coals/wood. The photos on the page you displayed both showed an Argentine style grate. Traditional Argentine cookers have a side slot where wood cooks down to coals and are then dispersed below for heat. They are used indoors (with a hood vent) or outdoors.

Comment

• Lost In The Desert
            Lost In The Desert commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the response.

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Not all Argentine grills have movable grates. Some just rely on moving the coals around underneath to control hot/cold areas. Some Uruguayan grills use a grate that is sloped from side to side to give different heights above the coal bed.

I wouldn't get this Argentine grill. I'd look at what they call the Argentine Brasero grill. I think you'd want the area on the side where you burn the wood, creating coals that you move under the grilling area.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana....

Comment

Thanks for the information

Comment

Some good info above. I live in Argentina and make Parrillas and smokers for a living so let me know any tech questions.
                For me personally I prefer to use round bar instead of angle iron for the V type grills. Lets the grease drip onto the coals Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1471734177342-V.jpg
Views:	4210
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	337684 Here's a pic of my parrilla (grill). I whipped it up in an hour using scrap from around the shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	4081
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	337685
                Here's the Fogon (hearth) at m father in laws. They are simple to make, just be sure to make the chimney about 4 times bigger than you think you need. Most Argentine Parrillas are pretty basic unlike what they try and market in the USA as Argentine parrillas. Here's some of my products. http://www.ahumadoras.com/productos/

Comment

Cool smokers, great to see such builds!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here