Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking on the Santa Maria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking on the Santa Maria

First cook on the SM finally. Just a couple of hamburgers and the chance to learn and play with fire. Starting with some briquets for a bed. Then some lump with some red oak splits.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SM 1st cook 3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1374450 Click image for larger version

Name:	SM 1st cook 2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1374452

Name:	SM 1st cook 1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1374451

Toasted ciabatta bun with mustard and horseradish cheddar cheese. Wife , no bun and American cheese.

Name:	SM 1st cook 4.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1374453
    Very basic and VERY good.
    Next up some chicken

That sure does look like fun.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB It is the grill worked perfectly. I'm very happy so far.

Great job ofelles! I am looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing about your experience.

Comment

If I ever pick up a new type of cooker, or contraption for the 22”, it will be a Santa Maria cooker

because this looks so stinking cool!

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I am not regretting my purchase. This thing is fun.

Nice baby. Looking forward to that chicken also.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Friday or Saturday for the chicken. Tuesday my youngest and her partner are coming over for tri tip. Looking forward to it.

I like this very much...

Comment

Nice! You're going to have so much fun with this grill!! I'm doing 2" ribeyes on the SMG this evening. I almost always SV steaks like that, but I ice bath them then start them high above the fire to get some smoke and bring back up to temp. By the time the fire burns down to coals it's time to crank the wheel down and get a nice sear. I don't smoke cigars much anymore, but I got one that will accompany my bourbon whilst SMGing tonight!!

Keep them pics and cooks coming, Big O!
        Last edited by CaptainMike; February 9, 2023, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Cook #2 still keeping it simple (because I’m stupid!).
            Skin on bone chicken highs. I marinated then for 6 hours in Frontera Tomatillo Salsa.

Name:	Cook 2-1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1376357

Built the fire using some 2 year old Fogo lump I had. I left the front door open while the got going good. Because I noticed the fire slowed down when it was closed. Threw a couple of snall red oak splits on and wait for them to get going and burn down son then threw the thighs on and some of th marinate to baste them with.

Name:	Cook 2-2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1376358
            Flipped every 10 minutes +/-

Name:	Cook 2-3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1376359
            Ready to take off,

Name:	Cook 2-4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1376361

Made up some Hatch Chile and red pepper corn

Name:	Cook 2-5.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1376360

Name:	Cook 2-6.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1376362

Tasted very good. The chicken could have gone another 10 degrees
            Really enjoying getting to know this cooker. So far zero problems. The grates move up and down smoothly so regulating the heat is easy. Clean up is simple with the central SS pan to sweep the ashes into.
            I think a beginner could product a good food it's so easy.

Every once in a while I'll be in the kitchen or family room and see it sitting there through the slider and a great big grin appears on my face!

Comment

I'm thinking out loud here. For these smaller cooks I could get a piece of sheet metal approx. the width of the box and a couple of inch's less high and some fire bricks to contain the heat some so as to not heat to whole box if I don't need to. Does anyone do this or think it's a bad idea?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Nah, just bank your fire to one side or another, or front to back. Very little heat from a fire like this radiates laterally, plus it's nice to have a warm zone.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here