Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Titan Santa Maria grill. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titan Santa Maria grill. Thoughts?

Good morning y’all.
    It looks like I will have some room for another grill as I, for whatever reason and I wasn’t even drinking 😁, said I would gift my nephew my Weber Preformer. He is getting married next weekend and they also recently purchased their first home.

That being said I’m really looking for a dedicated Santa Maria grill. As much as I love Lonestar Grillz I just don’t want to spend that much on one.
    So I found this one from Titan Outdoors.

https://www.titangreatoutdoors.com/o...YaAjDsEALw_wcB
    I can’t seem to find any reviews or videos of this puppy. Sooooo??
    It seems to have everything I’m looking for and is reasonably priced. I don’t want to go over $2k.

Anyone here have one or may know anything about these?

Only thing that I don’t love it’s a bolt together unit. But once it’s in place it’s not going to be moved around so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Any thoughts??

Thanks as always.
    SteveB.

I think Attjack has one as well as Uncle Bob

So, brother Attjack has been pushing this cooker for a couple years. You old hands around here know that he is an MCS enabler of the first order. He chortles as he lures we poor, unsuspecting souls into the trap that he himself avoids quite adroitly. Call it what you will, a Santa Maria grill. An Argentinian grill. Titan calls

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, I do not have that grill I just have the Titan Santa Maria attachment for my performer.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I have that as well, which works great, but plan on giving it to my nephew with the Preformer.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B that's a great gift. Maybe there will be a sale soon that knocks a couple hundred off the current price?

By Uncle Bob

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ser-commentary

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Jinx!

Hell Yes you should

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      May get that attachment for kettle tho

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I got an email this morning and it's a few bucks off right now.

You should also look at a Hasty-Bake. It works like a Santa Maria except the charcoal grate moves up and down instead of the food grate and it has a lid. Don't get me wrong I love a good Santa Maria style grill. I was was born in Santa Maria and raised on Tri Tip, Pinquito Beans and linguica sausage. As kid I thought all grills went up and down.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm looking at a Hasty Bake for exactly this reason. I'll likely release my Weber Performer from service and replace it with a Hasty Bake.

• Rob whatever
      Rob whatever commented
      Editing a comment
      My M36 has a charcoal grate which moves up and down - it's a beast but I've used is as a Santa Maria style cooker with good results.

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the moveable charcoal tray on my backyard grills.
      It works great. You can easily adjust smoking temperature and crank it up for searing...

The price has gone up a fair bit since I bought mine, but consider that inflation has hit the whole world so the $900-ish deal will likely never be seen again. They did have it around $1300 back in the "Black Friday" times a month or two ago, so that might be possible when/if they run another "sale".

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      So far, so good. Everything works as intended. It is a different style of cook from kettles or other cookers, but not dramatically. We'll be using it again next weekend for a steak dinner with friends. Truth be told, it's as much for "the show" as anything. Most folks haven't been around one so the fire building, up and down action, live fire, etc, all adds to the experience. It's fun to imagine the stories they'll tell about the back yard cooking nut they had dinner with...........

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks UB. 👍

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I agree that one of the biggest advantages is the show aspect.

I went with the Gaby Grill Insert and it is a good piec of gear...Titans' were on back order at the time
    Rockey Grillz on FB makes stand alone units ...top notch craftsmanship

Comment

@Steve B​ , a man of your caliber might should step up to one of these: Gaucho Grill | Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet (kalamazoogourmet.com)

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a steal at $40,000.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Only 33k without the 7k side burner

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂😂😂😂😂

Steve, I think about this genre of grills periodically. I think I’d personally prefer the Argentine set up better - w a firebox that you burn the wood (on the side) and then you can rake the coals over under the cooking surface. I don’t know enough about that kind of cooking though but it seems to me that it’s better to cook over coals than flaming logs. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        You know what - never mind. I just started looking at the prices out there. Crazy! That looks like a great value.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        What about a Hasty Bake?

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re cracking me up Erik. I looked at the Hasty Bake. But I’m yearning for a more open live fire type of cook.

Just got this awhile ago, Steve. I figure you’re probably on their list, but just in case.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	5CF618EF-B2B4-40F3-B9E5-DB80CE00A20C.png
Views:	398
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1373141

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn. The price just keeps going up.
        How long ago did you get it Sid?
        What are your thoughts so far?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        What was the price for Uncle Bob? $999?

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine was a strange-ish price on some promo they were running then, $894 and change.

Sorry, the title of the email was "Act quick! Price Drop Alert!", so I hoped it went down. The email came in an hour and 5 minutes ago. I don’t know anything about Santa Maria’s or Titans, but I’m interested.
      Last edited by Sid P; February 6, 2023, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Snap. That does come up now as I refreshed the page.
        Thanks Sid.

Steve B I got an email this morning and it's 25% off right now.

Name:	SgOmRpv.png
Views:	371
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1375462

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I saw that. But I’m going in another direction now.
        Stay tuned. 😁

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Pics, we need pics Steve B

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        In due time ofelles 😁
        He’s starting on the build this weekend. I asked him to send me pics of the build. So I’ll start a new thread when I get the first ones. Said should take about 2 weeks to complete.

So here's a secret. This site is full of Santa Maria grills and related hardware. It's basically a source that importers use to find products in China. Costs are incredibly low, but of course you need to deal with shipping and a likely lack of follow up support. The above product is about $250.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...rill&viewtype=
      Last edited by BBQPhil; February 10, 2023, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. Just tried going on their website and it’s “temporarily closed”. Whatever that’s supposed to mean.
        Anyway. I actually purchased one today. This is exciting as it’s being hand made in, of all places, Santa Maria Valley, CA.
        Stay tuned for this one.

So, @Steve B​ is going in a different direction, but here's the original subject in action last night..............at about 47 degrees ambient. Live fire be fun no matter the vehicle.........

Name:	live fire steaks.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1375919

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Seriously cool. Love it.

The one I ordered is a bit different and more simplistic.

In case Steve is having second thoughts, or anyone else… https://www.titangreatoutdoors.com/o...NWdo%3D.VRRhtM

Name:	8B6FF8B3-FDDE-4187-8675-97FA5181DE37.png
Views:	329
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1377220

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob I was going to mention that it’s down near what you paid. Was that two years ago?

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Sid P , no, it was just last spring.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn. That would have made it even more difficult to decide. But I think I’ll be happy with the one I chose.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here