Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leah Chase and Gumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leah Chase and Gumbo

I came across this video today, featuring Leah Chase of New Orleans’ Dooky Chase Restaurant. I didn’t see this posted anywhere on the site, so thought you would enjoy watching.

She has some spice and sass in her, even at 95 when this video was filmed. Especially when she tells the gentleman to "never put corn in gumbo!" Hahaha.

I've seen a video on her before. Really sharp for 95 years old. Too bad she passed away. Did not know that Gumbo meant Okra. Which means I have to change the name on my recipe to Cajun Stew, because I don't like Okra.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

TripleB yes, I was not aware of the origin of the name gumbo as well. Learned something knew this morning!

but, I only eat okra two ways - in gumbo or fried ....well, I guess a pickled okra in a Bloody Mary as well!

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        It's the slimness of Okra that I don't like. Fry it in butter or roast it apparently takes care of the slime, but don't want to take that chance. I remember the first time I made Gumbo and I put in frozen Okra. It was a slime bucket. I ended up throwing the whole thing away because I thought I did something wrong. I love and make Collard greens all the time. I bet I'd like fried Okra.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here