Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Southern Style Biscuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic Southern Style Biscuits

We have a tradition in our family. We don't have some old family recipes written down. If you wanted to learn you had to watch and/or participate. Mama learned Grandmama's recipes that way, and when my wife, Liz, asked my Mama how to make biscuits from scratch, she learned by family tradition. So, with no further adieu....

I keep saying I need to dip my toes deeper into the baking pool, I have all the stuff except time for making bread... maybe biscuits is where I'll go. I'll try to give this a go in the next few weeks, if I do and if I remember I'll credit you and your bride when I post 'em up

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Bread doesnt really take much active time. You need to find some time when you'll be around to deal with th risen dough, but I'd estimate that scratch loaves take me not even an hour of active time. Probably more like 45 mins.

But yeah, biscuits... mmmm.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory you didn't see the mess I made last time I tried to make an African flat bread

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't start with complex stuff. Start something like this: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...l-bread-recipe

Mama bought me a bread maker a few years ago. It made really good bread. All those evil carbs are delicious.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought your "bread maker" just made us some biscuits? LoL!

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      @Hawker beat me to it. Looks to me that you already had a pretty good bread maker.

Well done and thanks for posting. The fact that she learned from your Mother struck home. I met a girl from a Norwegian family who didn’t know what grits or red-eye gravy were let alone real biscuits. I married her, took her home to meet all the family, and then all the grandmas and aunts got involved to teach her Southern style cooking. 50 years later she is still one of the best Southern cooks I know, probably because she learned it all from my grandmothers.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Really, recipes are just an approximation of what grandmothers teach. But there's no substitute for watching and doing. You get a feel for (in this case) the consistency of the dough, etc.

Actually, I think that Youtube is helping bring that back - you can see what they're doing, have them talk about why (e.g. what she left the dough a little wet), etc. I don't have the link anymore but there was a Mexican grandmother who did a lot of videos of her cooking... it was great.

I should mention, one of the most important aspects of good biscuits and baking in general, is consistent temperature. Before you put the goods in the oven, give that pre-heat just a couple of extra minutes so you don't burn the bottoms.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP - yup - very painful...

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Coppertone!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      IME, passin out facin th opposite direction can lead to conditions exponentially worse than a Burnt Bottom...btdt

Jus sayin HawkerXP

Yup, your wife has done it 3 or 7 times before. Simple & great. Thanks.

Comment

Manatee Max Great job! I assume salted butter?

Comment

• Manatee Max
        Manatee Max commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope. We are 78.7% salt free in this house. It's an acquired taste, but it's really cool to actually taste food that doesn't all taste like salt.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh wow! Ok cool!

What a nice video. Tell your wife she did a great job.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here