Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cajun Cuisine Cook Books I Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cajun Cuisine Cook Books I Recommend

If anyone is looking for Cajun Cookbooks I’ve got a few I can highly recommend. The first is by Justin Wilson and is called "Homegrown Louisiana Cooking" It’s a very good book for beginners as well as someone just wanting to expand their recipes of Cajun Cuisine. I’ve tried many of his recipes in the book and can attest to the quality of them.
    The second one is from the Master and probably most famous Cajun and Creole Chef there is, Paul Prudhomme. If you’re interested at all in trying to master your skills in cooking Cajun food, this is a must have book. It’s "Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Louisiana Kitchen". Highly recommended. Click image for larger version  Name:	F11191EB-6B3D-4E0D-B463-331FDA4BA2FD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	951774
    The third one is called “Who’s Your Mama, Are You Catholic, and Can You Make A Roux? This is a collection of family member’s recipes from Marcelle Bienvenu. I bought this in Lafayette, Louisiana back in the 90’s. Not sure if it’s still being printed, but you could Google the title. Click image for larger version  Name:	EB0AF08E-31B6-45BC-8BF8-9B8D74EB8B9E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	951775
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 6, 2020, 04:41 PM.

I'm from Louisiana, can I make fun of your choices.

Still remember watching Justin Wilson on LOCAL television stations.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      No, you cannot make fun of my choices! I don’t care for people like that.
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 7, 2020, 09:36 AM.

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      He must have been syndicated at one point because we used to watch him on PBS up in Michigan. Loved his cooking shows! A little on-yon and always a healthy splash of wine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cajun-Creole Cooking Book.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	951809

May I add "Cajun-Creole Cooking" by Terry Thompson (a.k.a. Terry Thompson-Anderson)?
    Last edited by gcdmd; December 6, 2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Man! Does that cover look good or what!
      Here in Texas, it’s "I done did done it" remember?
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 6, 2020, 06:09 PM.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John
      Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. That must have been a carryover from my years living in Maryland. I plead for forgiveness based on being only a naturalized Texan. You'd think I'd have learned, though, after being here for well over forty years.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My favorite back in the day when I first moved to Texas was "I'll tell you what...." to which I would stupidly reply....."what?"

Absolutely love Prudhommes Cajun Shepards Pie out of that Louisiana Kitchens cookbook. My wife has made a few additions to the original recipe.

Comment

You forgot my book: "Cajun Cuisine is Really Over Seasoned Roadkill"
      Last edited by 58limited; December 6, 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Name:	B578B56B-9F54-47F4-8A06-12DE7794781E.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	952000 Just adding to the library

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That one looks really good. Sounds like all the Cajun moms got together and shared recipes, and that's a good thing !!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Brother!

On th List!

Although best known as BAM BAM, Emeril (although not a native) is still one of my favorites. His and K. Paul's are the two restaurants I still visit when I go to NO. Years ago, when he opened NOLA, a developer I was working for brought me to lunch there and insisted on his coming out and saying hi to all of us. Didn't know him from Adam at that time but have since become a big fan. I've cooked at least a half dozen of the recipes in this book over the years and still have them in my rotation.

**Quick note, I just read where K Paul's, Paul Prudhomme's famous and awesome French Quarter kitchen has announced it's permanent closer due to COVID-19. Unbelievable, the death of a great NO institution. **
        Last edited by Troutman; December 7, 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Emeril started me cooking seriously when he had the How to Boil Water show on the fledgling food network.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Also owe much to Emeril, and am a great admirer...
          I likes his style, an I likes his foods, as well.
          klflowers I feel ya KL

Boilin water is still summat I ain't mastered, jus yet, sadly...

(Which is why I have, shamefully, a non-stick saucepan *As Seen On TV* that I use to (try to) boil water...

I hides it from visitors in th very wayback, inna drawer on th bottom, there, of my lectric range
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 12, 2020, 02:10 PM.

Here you go John, this is Fried Chicken Gumbo recipe I got from a Prudhomme television series many years back. Do you think I got it perfected yet?

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	952157

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I make that same recipe - its darn good!

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          ....yer killin me....

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Stellar, amigo!

Had a random NOLA resident who seemed very much in the know, steer us to Palace Cafe when I was in town a few years ago and had such a good meal, I bought the cookbook... mine is autographed, as the chef was flattered.

Is it Cajun? Creole? New Orleans? Hell if I know. It's Dee-Effing-Licious... every thing in the book.

Comment

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman Brennan's in NOLA is one my favorite restaurants. Especially for breakfast.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          @Troutman: Was on the government per diem, but overspent anyway.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I miss per diem...

NO is one of my favorite places to go. Eating oysters at the ACME Oyster house, Pimms Cup at the Napoleon House and late at night you gotta have a hot link off one of the Lucky Dog carts. Great memories. Hope to get back there after the pandemic.

Chef Paul P's book "Louisiana Kitchen" was one of the first cook books I ever bought. There are many stain blanched pages and little side notes through out. RIP Chef P.

Comment

I can't do it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Cain't rightly jus come out any say that I blames ya,much, Brother...

I cain't feature havin to hang that many shrimps... lol

All the River Road Cook books are great..anything by Paul Prudhome..not a fan of Emeril....Rocky and Carlos ..has the best shrimp poboy on the planet..along with macand cheese with sauce..and largest pile of onion rings..Justin Wilson was a Mississippi boy living not far from me..was at several of his tv show tapings..darn good cook.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Being born in Louisiana, I have an inbred interest and love of all things Cajun, especially the food. I concur with all your comments. Haven’t been to Rocky and Carlos, but I’m sure you’re probably right grillinglousiana

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
          NO is one of my favorite places to go. Eating oysters at the ACME Oyster house, Pimms Cup at the Napoleon House and late at night you gotta have a hot link off one of the Lucky Dog carts. Great memories. Hope to get back there after the pandemic.
          We used to visit New Orleans once a year so we could eat our way through that town. ACME Oyster House was always the first stop. Pimms Cup at the Napoleon House after some serious shopping. Start the day early by reading a good book on a bench in Riverfront Park, snacking on piping hot Cafe du Monde beignets and sipping their chickory coffee. Dinner at a different fav restaurant (some swanky, some dive-y ) each night. Nightcaps in the hotel bar.

I would gain a pound a day on those trips. New Orleans food is some of the finest on the planet, IMO.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; December 12, 2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree Kathryn! NO and Lafayette. And there are some amazing restaurants also in a lot of a little towns most people have never heard of. In Louisiana, if you don’t do Cajun/Creole good, you usually won’t last too long.

Here’s my contribution, I picked this up of a grocery store check out magazine 32 years ago
          Its stained, dog eared and faded.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment

I have that same cookbook as well! Just a different edition. If your’s is from 1988 I’m sure it is well used. The McIlhenney family, 5 generations ago, started the Tobasco Brand Pepper Sauce on the cover. They grow their own peppers and produce their sauce in Avery Island, of which all the land is on a salt dome. Interesting little video I’ve included.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here