Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 BBQ documentary on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 BBQ documentary on YouTube

Here's a great old school BBQ documentary from 1995: Slow Food, Fast Times. A slice of Americana! Best of all, it's free on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9v0...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to BBQ historian Robert Moss for the tip. If you want to hear Moss's weekly insights into the history of barbecue, here's where to sign up for his newsletter, the 'Cue Sheet, http://www.robertfmoss.com/

old school 1995......😐

I'm getting old

🤣😂🤣😂

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m with you man. But I am not getting old, I AM old! 🤷‍♂️

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your avatar. It reminds me of the old advertising slogan for Hastings Piston Rings:

TOUGH but oh so gentle

So far so good. Troutman - look at the name on the sign at 11:05 and 25:21.
    Last edited by 58limited; August 10, 2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I actually found that sign on the old inter web a couple of years ago. Posted it here and we had a good chuckle. Good to see her again !!!

Quote from 1995 "I think the future of pork BBQ is limited."

2020 be like: "Let me introduce you to pork belly burnt ends and pork wings."
    Last edited by 58limited; August 10, 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t forget pork brisket!

To me, BBQ in 1995 was my dad's gas grilled blackened chicken legs with Open Pit sauce, burnt cuz he'd add it at the start of the cook, or BBQ sauce w/ my McD's nuggets.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I still use open pit on burgers once in awhile. Mix it with KC’s original 50/50 for a pork chop glaze.
      That stuff’s been around a long time!!

• Whiskeyman53
      Whiskeyman53 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Open Pit bbq sauce, as a kid that's all we used, my father would would light the round charcoal grill with the brackets to raise the cooking grate when the 3 foot flame from the gallon of lighter fluid would torch the tree above it. Great memories.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      1995 I was using a Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal water smoker & grill. We were using the Minion method at the time and didn't know it had a name until I joined this group. My buddy's cousin lived in KC and he told us it was popular down there. It worked good enough I could smoke after March.

That was fun. Thanks

Comment

I hate to show my age but I was actually competing at the Fort Bend County fair and The Houston Livestock and Rodeo cook off in the mid-1990s. Stick burners and 55 gallon barrel cookers were all we had to work with. To be honest, the quality of the meat sucked back then compared to now, but back then it sure was devine !!!👍 May bbq live forever !!

Comment

Early in the vid there was a line that would make a good sub-heading for this site: "The more you consume the more you're consumed by it." BBQ philosophy 101

Comment

In 1995, I think by then I had taken possession of my Dad's offset smoker, which I mostly used as a charcoal grill at the time. I am pretty sure I still had a Brinkman water smoker as well - one of those red ones with the totally open bottom and little to no control. And I used LOTS of lighter fluid, as I had yet to see or hear of a chimney at that point!

Comment

I think by that time I was gifted an indoor electric grill that weighed just over a metric ton. Mostly did chicken breasts, w/ no thermometer, cringe thinking about it.

Comment

Omg, I have a feeling that 1995 was a couple of years ago, but not 26 years ago! You know, I don't think the barbecue movie is old, because some episodes are still relevant today. I distinctly remember my father cooking a barbecue on Saturdays, and his meat was always burning. To be honest, he was a bad cook, but I told him so. I recently found some videos on the internet about comparing barbecue in the 90s and now. They are gaining popularity thanks to https://sns-daiko.com/product-category/youtube/ advertising. As a rule, such videos often cause a feeling of nostalgia, which is not liked by everyone.
              Last edited by Urangenii; May 26, 2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Urangenii , cool that ya bumped this. Now git yer BBQ butt over to the interduce oneself & do so, welcome!

Comment

1995?! Sheesh! That’s old! LOL

But the same year as my current fave fun drive.
                  What is that fun ‘95 you ask... A tuned & lowered Del Sol. Yep, it’s lowered. :-) It’s like driving a go cart!

And MUCH cheaper to deal with than the 3 German cars I had prior. So that’s a bonus. ;-) Passat, good car and the 1st & only (& last) sedan I’ve ever owned but the turbo brutalized oil and was a PITA, Boxster was fun but...wasn’t actually mine (belonged to a friend with several Porsche’s & he let me have it until he decided to sell it...but didn’t tell me. Probably told my wife though. LOL)...911 Carrera 4, ticket magnet and it ate tires. Didn't manage to get a ticket...but it was only a matter of time. Hitting 100+ on an on-ramp I knew it truly was only a matter of time. And the expensive grippy soft tires didn’t last a year. :-/ On the plus side, I sold it for more than I paid for it. :-)

Yeah yeah, enough of that car nonsense...back to BBQ!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here