Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books that teach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books that teach?

For me, Amazing Ribs was life changing because it taught me how to BBQ and smoke, explained everything so clearly, and showed what tools were needed. I am forever grateful for that as the education has been so valuable and enjoyable. Similarly, I enjoyed Franklin’s BBQ book because it was also a teaching book about his process.

Does anyone have other recommendations for books that teach certain BBQ or smoking skills or techniques for food?
    Last edited by STEbbq; June 1, 2020, 05:31 PM.

I found "The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook" helpful.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Applicable to grills other than Kamado?

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq I suppose some of the ideas and practices could be translated to other cookers, but it really is oriented to Kamado. What I like about it is that each chapter is a technique, a recipe and some suggestions to improvise.

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome recommendation! Thank you!

Not BBQ related but... Taste & Technique: Recipes to Elevate Your Home Cooking

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31683548-taste-technique?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=edM8tntN3n&ran k=1
    Last edited by rickgregory; June 1, 2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I appreciate readers. People that can sit down and read a whole book, novel or whatever. I am not a reader. I learn by watching. I have never read a whole book in my life. I buy them hoping I can do it, but never can. I am more of a short story, short attention span kinda feller. But I love a good recipe book!

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	855657

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never heard of this one. What kind of recipes/tips did it have?

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq it is really not a grilling book, but a Cajun cookbook.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I read all the time. Mostly junk fiction. And cookbooks.

Well, The Food Lab is pretty much required reading I'd say. That's probably my most used cookbook.

On Food and Cooking is pretty much the book about how food works. It's not a cookbook though.

The Joy of Cooking Lots of good stuff in there.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking Classic.

That ought to keep you occupied for a spell.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree that The Food Lad is a winner.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I am adding the Food Lab to my wish list for sure

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        The joy of cooking was a game changer for me. I've had mine for over 30 years. It is so good at describing not only what to do, but how to as well. Mine is one of the old ones that shows how to skin a squirrel on page 515.

Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible is a must have. https://barbecuebible.com/book/the-b...rsary-edition/

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Raichlen is Awesome Mc. Possum. Have multiple of his books.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have bet y'all on how long it would take for one of Steven's books to show up.

I enjoy America's Test Kitchen (TV show/book) and its cousin Cook's Illustrated. They both have a 'we tried it a thousand ways and we feel this is best way and here's why' approach, like AR. They also test the snot out of gear to find the best products. Also honorable mention to Christopher Kimball's Milk Street.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I have a Great Respect, an Admiration fer what they do, an a Membership, as well, Brother...
        Nuff Said.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Except, ATK and CI have recycled their recipes so many times in so many different forms it's ridiculous - all simply to pump out more content. And each variation, some small, some wildly different, all claiming to be the best. I gave up after the first two volumes of the CI big cookbooks.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        A man after my own heart. I do like Cook's Illustrated and ATK a lot as well, and for exactly the reasons you describe, which I think matches up well with AR's approach. I used CI's steak recipe for searing on the oven with cast iron for many years. Any books that really speak to you in terms of BBQ?

Any book from
      Steven Raichlen is a must. I just picked up Project Fire and Planet Barbecue, great recipes and techniques in each.

Comment

I’d also recommend Raichlen, particularly How to Grill. America’s Test Kitchen has many books that teach the arts of cooking, grilling, and smoking. And of course, Meathead’s book has been a great source for me to understand the why’s of my cooking oddessy.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Seconding How to Grill... no shade to Meathead, but might be the best how to book there is. (might be Meathead...)

• VideoWolf88
          VideoWolf88 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Raichlen may be more accessible and easier to understand for novices who are just starting to find their way around the fire. Meathead is the best for understanding why certain things are done and the science behind the cooking.

The Tartine Bread book. I am also a huge fan of Jacques Pépin - "Techniques". I have it in hard cover and Kindle edition.

Comment

Alla th above is Excellent recommends...

Gotta Cowboy up, here, an say that KCR's books ain't no slouch, neither.
          Fact of th matter is, th Man can flat-arse put down some good food...
          Jus Sayin...

Comment

Well, I’m a reader more than anything. Don’t even listen to audio books. I do read plenty of e-books though.

im gonna recommend a real oldie, but it’s a timeless classic: Julia Child - Mastering the art of French cooking. Not many pictures, but if you can appreciate that there’s 20+ pages on the Hollandaise family of sauces then this is for you. Personally I love the depth and details.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 ... agreed!

There's always Meathead's book--a true must-have.

Kathryn

Comment

I went back to AR and found this helpful link too: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...-and-magazines .

Has anyone read or would recommend Charred & Scruffed by Adam Perry Lang?

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a copy. His board sauce idea for steaks is incredible.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I have it, and would recommend it. The seasoned salts and the board sauces are both great ideas.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool! I like the ideas as they are so different than the traditional tips, so I ordered this one!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here