Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Eats Ridiculous Article. What say you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Eats Ridiculous Article. What say you?

I came across this today. I’m not sure that I’ve read many SE articles and now I know why. Their recipes I’ve read more of and have seemed ok.

SE is very popular but I hope they don’t produce a lot of this garbage. This article is terrible in so many ways. I recall something similar around Thanksgiving and the fall holidays.

From the bar manager to the people saying "I remember one time" and the "proposal advice" this is just a stupid, absolutely wrong and flat out terrible.

I'm not really sure why this bugged me so, SO much. Perhaps it’s the pain I’m in or just that I’m an idiot? I’m not really sure.

What’s your take? Never eat out again. Make the poor server do his job, boo hoo. Make the cook serve a new dish, poor fellow. Pre set menu, never go there again? I know let’s just shit down on Valentine’s Day. Please... give me a break.

Ok. I’m done. What your view on this.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/...disasters.html
    Last edited by HouseHomey; February 7, 2020, 08:20 AM.

No comment. On the other hand I did have an In N Out burger last night. Sorry but the service was terrible, the prix fixe menu a disaster and the wait....oh what I could opine about the wait .

Comment

I never go out on valentine's day. I don't enjoy the crowds at a restaurant. But, that's just me. I don't like noisy places when I'm there to eat and have a quiet conversation. If I'm at the sports bar, then I am drinking and as loud as everyone else, because no one can hear me over the music But, yea, valentine's day is a no go out day for us.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        You make a valid point but the article mentioned others reasons. I don’t like crowds either so I get it. Yours is just personal preference, aligned with mine BTW unless I’m working. Then I want the crowd.

• Porkies
        Porkies commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely understand HouseHomey . I worked the day way back when one of my jobs was waiting tables to get me through college. I was definitely for people going out to eat!

It had the word 'sommelier' in it, you don't see that everyday.

By the second sentence I was convinced to go out, I want to be one of those incredibly wasted couples making out, but knowing my luck we'd get a table with gum stuck under it.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        What you don't dine in establishments that have a sommelier on staff? Well....I never.....

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought that was a shrimp dish.

In this forum, I’m curious to see how many go out on Valentines. I don’t, mainly because I cook better food! Haha. Not completely true but I feel I cook as good as what I can get out at most spots. My wife and I are at the point where we just enjoy being in. But We did go out this past Wednesday for her birthday, to a pizza place. Really good, although the gluten free crust is not made in house, it is the best GF crust/pizza I’ve had. So that is worth going out for in our opinions. And I think that is what it comes down to....is it something I can mak at home. Maybe not so much for my wife, and I should keep that in mind.

But the article on Seriouseats, considering their readership, I’d imagine most don’t go out anyways. If that was published in a magazine that gets non-cooker readers, I don’t know if it sways them anyways. From your standpoint thought, the next article should be how to make Valentines date night out tip top! Top 5 tips to make your date love you more on Valentines Night from HouseHomey
      Last edited by barelfly; February 7, 2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        We've been married 40 years, so Mrs. CN and I will probably just watch 'Jeopardy' and 'Wheel of Fortune', eat cheese sandwiches, give each other a 'thumb's up', and call it good.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb Maybe drive the car, in the driveway perhaps. Your an "excellent driver."

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb, we watch Wheel of Fortune and Andy Griffith.

I use SE for recipes all the time, but I have never read any of the articles. Now I know I'll never read another one.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Consider the source. The author writes about cocktails. My wife drinks wine and I drink whiskey. My idea of a wild mixed drink is to add a splash of water to some whiskey. I have no use for articles about cocktails.

When I do read articles in SE, it's about food. Many of their writers do a bang up job.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        "I use SE for recipes all the time, but I have never read any of the articles. Now I know I'll never read another one."

Same here but more of it.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna Rebel.
        crazytown3 I didn’t know they wrote stuff unattached to a method or recipe. Additionally I am not a well read person. I’ve always enjoyed their recipes n such. I guess this is like a recipe I don’t agree with but.... different. A lot different as mentioned by a few on this thread. All good though.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; February 7, 2020, 02:24 PM.

barelfly, I usually take my better half out on Valentines, always to places that I know are great. This year we are going to a place called La Cabriole where they serve a 7 course meal that is pretty excellent. You eat what the chef is preparing that night; they will make exceptions for dietary restrictions, but you have to let them know in advance.

We serve a delicious 7-course dinner to our guests in a private setting. Serving Chattanooga since 1982. Freshly prepared food.

Another place that is generally outstanding is a local joint called Alleia. Actually, these are the only 2 we have been to on special occasions over the last several years lol.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey, they don't publish a menu because it changes. I know there will be an appetizer course, salad, the main course will be surf and turf this year, there is a cheese course, soup and desert. Not in that order. I can't remember what the 7th course is. We went last year for Valentines and it was excellent. Bring your own wine.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds/looks expensive. Do you dress up? I like casual. We've been out before on Valentine's day and had bad experience - so we don't do it any more; same on Mother's day.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        treesmacker it is expensive but we only do this kind of thing a couple times a year. Casual dress, but I will wear a jacket no tie though.

We also usually go out just because its means a lot to my wife. While it wouldnt be my preference, thats enough to make the decision.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s why you and the photo are G.O.A.T.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey that picture is a prime example of why i make these concessions, lol

HouseHomey I think you got your panties all up in a knot cause of the pain for sure. and yes your an idiot
      Feel better my friend...

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        How dare you talk about my panties that way. Once again Steve our conversations go downhill quickly. 🤷‍♂️😃
        Last edited by HouseHomey; February 7, 2020, 02:18 PM.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain't that the truth....

Pretty whiney author who cherry-picked quotes to fit her narrative. Any of those scenarios could happen on any given Friday or Saturday night. Honestly, Valentine's Day is nothing more than a Hallmark Holiday and it comes and goes by like any other day at our house. We celebrate our wedding anniversary.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; February 7, 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Bingo

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Hit the head on the nail there. Couldn’t agree more.

wow, you're all a bunch of sensitive little flowers. That article is fine. It's nothing more than a light counterpoint to the idealized V-Day dinner, telling some anecdotes. Hell, the story about the guy proposing to his GF when his ex was in the same place was funny.

Se has a bunch of good stuff. Not everything is going to cater to your tender whims.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        My thoughts exactly (no offense to anyone who posted prior to this). :-) Not every article on every web site can be Pulitzer worthy. It was a fluff piece, nothing more, nothing less, and the title of the article made that clear to me so I skipped it altogether.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, didn't you see my tag? klflowers??? Of course, I haven't been little - well - ever. But sensitive? Yes!!!

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
      Pretty whiney author who cherry-picked quotes to fit her narrative. Any of those scenarios could happen on any given Friday or Saturday night.
      ^This x100. Just a dumb fluff piece. Not worth getting worked up over...lol.

Take a perc and chill. Hope you feel better!

Comment

My wife and I avoid going out on V-Day because of (1) the crowds and (2) the limited menus. If we do go out, it tends to be to a tavern for a burger or some such thing. I also avoid Mother's Day -- the last time I went out on Mother's Day, we went to Benihana's, which was actually a good call, as it wasn't crowded like everyplace else, being non-traditional fare.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          After 42 years, my wife and I just eat when and where we want and don't do "special occasions". Just being with her after all these years make every date special.

Maybe Maggie is trying to make sure we all know why she's not going out on Valentines... "Oh, well, I actually got invited out by LOTS of guys. I'm super popular and in-demand. Really. It's just that I don't eat out that day."

Comment

Homer Simpson’s outlook on a romantic evening is so much more simple: “Marge, we're getting some drive-thru, then we're doing it twice."

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh HouseHomey thanks for explainin... duh I shoulda known! Hey, I wanted to put a wink emoji on that comment, but don't see emoji icons on comments - how did you do that!

• synodog
            synodog commented
            Editing a comment
            treesmacker @HouseHomey
            Or marge really likes drive-thrus...

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            On my phone.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here