Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errata for Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errata for Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling"?

I've searched this site for an errata. Does one exist and if so, where can I find it?

TIA

First post from you - welcome to the Pit. I had to look up errata. Just go to the search engine with my name and you will find the major errata's. It isn't that I make purposely make errors; I just change my mind a bunch. Spelling errors are due to beer.

Cooking errors are due to not following other people's advice. Scientific errors are due to my misunderstanding of Einstein's theories. For example. MC2 = Meat Cubed Squared. When using a dull knife, it is sometimes rectangular. I still apply the laws of physics to my cook and come up with a variety of results. Sometimes, gravity pulls the meat into the cooker and other times, it stays suspended on the grill.

*errata - Page 6 of tbob4's recipe book - Original text = Cube beef at 2 inches by 2 inches. 'Insert cube beef at exact measurements of 2 inch by 2 inches by 2 inches before placing in cooking device.' *Failure to apply all measurements may result in beef falling into the pit and/or an inability to properly McFly the beef after cooking.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      To much math fer me, a lotta twos too. Just used three of em there, this is fun.

I can relate to the Meat Cubed Squared reference

Comment

I guess if you are asking then you must believe you have found mistakes.

What is it you are needing clarity on?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        I was kind of wondering, is it 'the' or 'thee'?

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Clarity? We are now in search of clarity? What’s goin on here?

Not trying to be a smart ass (though occasionally I am). Meathead's Welcome chapter in his book says that he will communicate any errors found in the book via his Smoke Signals newsletter. I was curious if there were any and if they were collected in one place.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wasn't thinking you were a smart ass. I was having fun with my own cooking based on your question. You should also post a welcome. Since your name is TooOld and your location is Northern California, you fit in well with a bunch of us here.
        Last edited by tbob4; December 3, 2019, 06:17 PM.

I never noticed. However, the "Smoke Signals" are archived here https://amazingribs.com/newsletter-archive

Comment

You have no idea how many mistakes we found & we ain’t tellin where we hid em!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, for starters how many times he misspelled 'wibs'....

Hi TooOld I've forwarded this question to Meathead, hopefully he can help answer your question for you. Welcome aboard! Don't mind these yahoos above, they're harmless and sometimes they are even fun.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          And below, yahoooo!

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Huskee I don't know about those above but I'm not a yahoo. I'm not a google, either. I'm not even a gaggle...where was I going with this? Next time I should lay down more tracks.

I do know we talk errata BBQ here.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait a second - You're not a Yahoo?!?!? Dang, Jim. I have to completely rearrange my Rolodex, now.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Jim, you are a yahoo. We are all yahoos on this bus. 🕶

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan I was thinking I needed to lay more tracks because I lost my train of thought. Now you are telling me I was on a bus all the time? Is that why that song is going thru my head? (Wheels and the bus go....)
            Last edited by JimLinebarger; December 3, 2019, 10:09 PM.

There were a few grammar and other typos but only one error of consequence, on a table (I forget which) but it was obvious. Knock on wood, I think the editors did a pretty good job! Did you find an error?

Comment

• TooOld
            TooOld commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the post! No, I didn't find an error, just checking. If you only had one error of consequence you should give your reviewers/editors gold stars (or BBQ). In my experience that is fairly uncommon.

Having re-read the question, there is an erratum in the statement "searched this site for an errata". Errata is the plural of erratum, therefore the question should have correctly been "searched this site for errata".

Hopefully you will not find a plethora of errata on this website

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooooh! Plethora of errata! I like it! Even though I’m a Yahoo, yahoooooo!

"Plethora of Errata" is the title of Vol. 1 of my autobiography!

Comment

Here’s one:

the yardbird recipe in the book says 225F and finish over hot coals to crisp the skin. Turns out much better at 325F and the same recipe on the website says 325 as well

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Straight cook at 325 is much more fool proof. Some of us need that.

• TooOld
              TooOld commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know about the recipes being on the website. I would now rephrase my question to say is there a list of recipes which are different than the book? This assumes that the website recipes are improvements over the book.

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              That yardbird is the only one I noticed that is different. However there are a lot more newer recipes only on the website.

If I can chime in here and provide some errata clarity I need to change my screen name to TooDamnOld...

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know. I feel that way every day I get older. I think we should have a raffle for the name. The last one who can reach their wallet with full effort wins.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here