Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ with Franklin PBS Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ with Franklin PBS Series

Wow, from the where-have-I-been-department.....

So, until about two hours ago all I knew about Franklin's BBQ was that it is 200 miles west of me in Austin. I've never eaten there, but I am well aware that it has an insane reputation. I knew nothing of Aaron Franklin himself.

So I stumbled upon the PBS series "BBQ with Franklin" this evening. This is really well-done (as in TV, not steak lol). Aaron Franklin is a natural for video. He goes into a decent amount of detail, and he is dynamic, witty, and quite funny. His style is almost Steven Raichlen plus Alton Brown, in a way.

The series is short -- just ten 20-minute episodes, although there are an addition ten 10-minute "web specials" that were produced that are also available.

The series is here: https://www.pbs.org/show/bbq-franklin/

I know he filmed a MasterClass fairly recently. I may check that out as well, albeit it most certainly is not free.

My only complaint about the series thus far is very minor, and mostly as I taught video production in a previous life....there are some shots that beg for the use of a SteadyCam rig.

Oh snap - gotta check these out. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I watched those videos many times before I smoked my first big hunk of meat. Very well done and he does a great job in front of the camera. The Masterclass is great as well. I thought it was definitely worth the $90. Some of it is specific to offset smokers but even that info can be adapted for whatever cooker you are using. Great info overall.

Comment

Franklin is special. His book, A Meat Smoking Manifesto, changed my barbecue life. He writes with such passion that you’ll want to open a barbecue restaurant by the time you finish the book!

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          If you haven't done so already get his steak book, good info there too.

A fun series for sure.

Comment

His "Steak" Book is also incredible

Masterclass is worth the $$. Not just for Franklin's episodes, but all of the other incredible chefs.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            I read a bit of the preview of his steak book on Amazon. That looks really interesting.

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Michael_in_TX it's a great read. Not really a cookbook, honestly. It really piqued my interested in the cattle industry (horrible). Led me to some really great sources of beef, etc. I could go on, but I've seen that most on here don't really care and stick with garbage beef from inhuman producers. Anyway...read it!!

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I noticed that most of the negative reviews are from those expecting it to be a cookbook. Both of his books are now on my list....only waiting for the Amazon gift cards that invariably come in during the holiday season.

FYI its all on his youtube channel as well

Comment

+1 on the PBS series, and for Aaron Franklin himself. The series was very well done, and I have watched it several times. Like others have said, Aaron Franklin is a natural in front of the camera. His quirky and kind goofy personality comes through, but you can also tell he takes his craft very seriously.

Comment

• parkerj2
            parkerj2 commented
            Editing a comment
            While not taking HIMSELF too seriously. It makes it seem so enjoyable. Which my favorite pitmasters do. Franklin, Rodney Scott, Sam Jones - none of them make it seem like a chore. "classically trained' chefs, on the other hand....(not to mention some of the competition BBQ guys and their massive egos)

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            "Legacy BBQ" as my friend calls them, tend to take themselves waaaay too seriously sometimes.

I enjoy watching Aaron Franklin and Steve Raichlen. Both almost have a Bob Ross style to them. I can’t paint a lick but I know if I buy Titanium White, a brush and canvas (and put a squirrel on my shoulder), I might end up with beautiful mountains and waterfalls. With Franklin and Raichen, I just need protein, salt, pepper and heat. Everything will be delicious.

Comment

• LDimick
            LDimick commented
            Editing a comment
            I think your impression is the same as mine. Raichlen does a great job but his style seems to be more about unique flavors or dishes than it is about the meat. Franklin is all about the meat. I find myself somewhere in the middle. Franklin tends to cook hotter than I do but I am not trying to feed hundreds of people every day.

I would really love to find a good show or series of shows on developing rubs and flavors instead of regurgitated recipes. I want to understand the why not just the how.

I have watched his series several times and I have both books. Learned a lot from Aaron. Then I joined the Pit and I've learned even more. I've had Franklin BBQ once and it was great.

Comment

The Franklin PBS series is terrific. The brisket episode with John Markus one of the best cooking show episodes I’ve ever seen.

Raichlen’s evolution is interesting to watch. His early shows and books are about front searing, measuring doneness by time and feel. Now he promotes reverse sear and thermometers. I’ve posted elsewhere in this forum that Raichlen’s older recipes made with Meathead’s techniques are a great combination.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Great observation.

So I was looking at this thread, and I put the Meat Smoking Manifesto in a google search and clicked the first link that came up. It was a link to Ebay selling the book, and I was kind of surprised when I scrolled down to the frequently bought together part of the page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	books.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	771088

Aaron, Meathead and... Her???

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm...somebody got creative...

K.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here