Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with you sp. I started it yesterday and went about halfway thru. He's a righteous dude for sure.

Comment

Who needs a cookbook?? I just follow Ernest around on this site!

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to that. Especially since he is so willing to share his techniques and recipes.

I am also enjoying Aaron Franklin's book. It almost makes me wish I had a stick burner. Maybe someday.

I also enjoyed:
      Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbeque Cookbook
      Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book
      Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque and Championship Barbeque Sauces
      Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse (probably because they're local in Upstate NY)

And for some strange reason, Smokin' with Myron Mixon, for the stories more than the recipes.

I learned the concept of pulled pork from the Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbeque. That's what got me interested in actually doing backyard bbq.

I have more damn cookbooks than I know what to do with and I like reading them all. Sometimes it feels like a curse...

Comment

Weber's Big Book of Grilling is also a good recipe book...

Comment

I'm kinda fond of " Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing " by Rytek Kutas.I have two boxes of cookbooks gathering dust in the garage - this is the only book i keep inside. I do my research online now....
          Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 2, 2015, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Mostly inexpensive ingredients, but my grandmother always made it taste so good. Maybe sometimes simple is better.
            Attached Files

Comment

I received Aaron Franklin’s book for Christmas last year. Really enjoyed that one. Otherwise my ten or so bbq cookbooks were packed away when we remodeled our kitchen two years ago. Never unpacked them. All info comes online now.

Comment

I like single topic books. Food of Sichuan is one I need to cook from more. Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast for bread.

PS: I don't really look for recipes in cookbooks anymore. As someone said above, you can find those online. What I look for is authoritative information on how to do the thing that the book focuses on. There will naturally be recipes too because they let you practice the techniques being discussed, but they're almost secondary.
                Last edited by rickgregory; December 6, 2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Funny. I made dinner tonight from Food of Sichuan. It was my first time doing so.

I enjoy reading cookbooks. I've read some real stinkers this year, but one of the good ones was Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat by Samin Nosrat. Nothing earth shattering, but her stories that support the premise of essential cooking was well done. She does not talk down to her audience and quite often makes her points by exposing her failures.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here