Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New revised "Joy of Cooking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New revised "Joy of Cooking"

A new "Joy of Cooking" is to be released on Nov. 12 if the schedule holds. It has 600 new recipes and 4000 recipes that have been upgraded to modern cooking methods. The cost will be $40.00 and it will be published by Schribner.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

That was the cookbook that started it all for me. I have a large collection of cookbooks which sit largely untouched these days.

Comment

Never heard of this one.. is it worth buyin???

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Every home should have one.
          Not sure how many I’ve purchased over the years as gifts.

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like I better get it then..

But will the pages fall out when I look for recipes like with my current version?

Comment

Does it include a chapter on how to conduct CIA operations using cooking as a cover

that’s what I want to learn how to do!

Comment

Thanks. I have an old copy that is falling apart like ScottyC13's. I'll definitely be picking one up.

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree with Bkhuna. Joy is a classic and we have an older version. I also have an entire bookshelf full of cookbooks that I will never look at much less take advantage of. There is so much material on the old interweb either on free recipe sites or in places like the Pit that you could spend a lifetime and never get to the end. Google in any recipe, even bizarre ones and you'll get a dozen returns. In this computer, cell phone, instant information age, books (as much as I love my books and their tactile feel) are almost becoming obsolete. And this from a 70 year old guy who is old school as you can get.

So that's my rant for the day, but to the OP's point, that is one of THE defining books on cooking. It's well worth owning a copy !!!

Comment

• ScottyC13
                ScottyC13 commented
                Editing a comment
                What is even better is sites like this review the recipes, offer more tips and techniques, watch outs and substitutions.

A short follow up. They are using a new binding method so pages will not fall out and the book will lay fat. Part of the increase in cost to $40.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 24, 2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't even attempt to skin or cook a squirrel without referring to my Joy of Cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Squirrel.PNG
Views:	248
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	747533

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was my first thought as well. For this reason alone the oldest version is superior. :-)

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Treetop stroganoff!!!

Woohoo! I have worn out two copies of Joy of Cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here