Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J. Kenji López-Alt and the Paper of Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Kenji López-Alt and the Paper of Record

Kenji just announced via Twitter that he's going to start doing a monthly article and a recipe in the New York Times. He's going to continue on Serious Eats and his Wursthall restaurant. Awesome news!

This is great news!! I love his stuff.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. He and Meathead are 2 people that I'd love to have a meal and some wobbly pops with!

I has a NYT subscription for a while but they wanted too much $$$. They also bombard your email with 2-3 hits a day. I'm a Kenji fan but beware getting into the whole subscription thing.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I get a free subscription through the Microsoft library. :-)

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m a Sunday crossword fanatic (and local to NY), so I get the paper delivered on the weekends primarily for the magazine/crossword puzzle but the other benefit is it also comes with access to the app which I used to read during the week while I commute.

Yes! Like you, Kenji and Meathead are my two go-to people on food. I have a NYT subscription, but they charge extra for their recipe section now, and I don't pay that. Hope Kenji isn't behind that second paywall...

Comment

NYT food is $40 a year or $1.25 a week. I don't have time to cook what I want to now; I don't need more on the list.

Comment

Sorry, but I ain't givin' that rag any $$, so I guess I'm out even though I love Kenji's work.

Comment

Too bad it is in NYT... his credibility just dropped.

Comment

I'm a long time NYTimes subscriber (digital only in recent years) and they really pi$$ed me off a few months ago when they decided to move almost all their cooking stuff behind a separate paywall even for existing subscribers. The NYTimes has a LOT of good stuff in their Cooking section and I could see that there might be people that don't care about the news enough to subscribe to the whole newspaper but would be more than willing to pay a smaller amount for just access to the recipes and such.

Did they say if his stuff would appear in the Times or behind the paywall? With a lot of their stuff they have done something similar to what Serious Eats does - have an article about the food/item/technique/etc and then have a separate link to an actual recipe. The difference is tho that on Serious Eats the recipes are still available to everyone - in the Times clicking on the recipe almost always is locked away.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              I was a long time subscriber but when they wanted to make the cooking section an extra subscription I dropped the paper completely.

They let you read 5 free articles a month no subscription.

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              Recipes are behind a separate paywall tho.

This may be the only valuable information the NYT's publishes. But since it's the NYT's I'll take a pass.

Comment

Wow. That got political fast.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                NYT has a fairly light center left bias. The objections of several posters above are inherently political. Twere Kenji to have a column in say the WSJ, and I were to say it would be the only valuable thing they’ve ever had... that would also be political.

• Bighorn Dave
                Bighorn Dave commented
                Editing a comment
                Political??? Kind of feels like we should get approval about what TP we use or it is political. Nothing wrong with having a like or dislike for anything. It's called human nature not politics.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m sorry sir, but this is an Arby’s.

This is great for Kenji, for the Times, for the culinary world, and for us (he wrote the foreword to our book).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here