Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New book - recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I grabbed both books in question after reading this thread. I'm easily more interested in the Food Lab.

Comment

The books I find myself grabbing off the shelf are, in no particular order, "On Food And Cooking", "The Food Lab", "The Joy Of Cooking" (I've got editions from the '90s, the 60s, and the late 30s), and Cooks Illustrated "The New Best Recipes". They've all got a significant "why" component, which is more interesting to me than the "how" of most cookbooks. I'd rather know why the hell I'm doing something than blindly follow directions.

But, honestly, if I had to pick one it'd me The Food Lab, hands down.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like we have the same core book collection, including multiple editions of "Joy of Cooking."

For basic science of cooking I go with your opinion on "The Food Lab." However, as most of my cooking is done indoors, if I could only have one cookbook, it would be "Joy," mainly for the compendium and variety of recipes but also for the basic explanations, which are sufficient for most general home cooks.
        Last edited by gcdmd; September 1, 2019, 04:54 PM.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        "Food Lab" would be a close second, however, especially if you have the "Serious Eats" web site to supplement it for post-publication updates.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        mnavarre I agree, if I learn the "why" I can make up all the how's on my own. I prefer to learn so something, rather than memorize a recipe.

I have ever found this to be a great reference source...readily available on ePay, etc.; shop round, git a good deal...
      I do find my dang ol self enjoyin th fact that this here one is a "First Edition", though I've a had few subsequent versions, been given me, as well...
      I jus gifted em to like-minded folks I know...no complaints, or returns, least not so far...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_174655 (Custom).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	738296

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a treasure, Bones.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Truth of it all is: I grew up learnin from this, an some other cookbooks what my ma an grandma had, but Family copies of those are safely stowed away from my bumbling hands, feet, etc., an I utilize surrogates obtained from other sources, still feels very Homey, helps me try to always achieve/sustain a State, Tranquility-Type,1 each
        Type II, Class III, Revision 19C, sometimes, fer a spell, or so...on a Good Day / Night

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd Many Thanks, Doc! It is, imo, almost to be considered a seminal text, in one's culinary edumacation path

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here