Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauce Recipe

Howdy Everyone, I need your help. I'm looking for a BBQ sauce recipe that is not vinegar based and only slightly sweet. I know that opens the door to endless possibilities.

In the past, my sauces are either sweeter for that thick candied effect at the end of cooking or vinegar based. I have someone who wants neither. But they still want the kind of sauce that is still a little thick on the meat. Maybe some of you might know. I'm at a loss.

I could google it but why should I when I can rely on the pro here. Thanks a million.

Aaron Franklin expresso bbq sauce. Have not tried it yet

Aaron Franklin, the acclaimed owner of Franklin Barbecue in Austin, won a 2015 James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southwest, unprecedented for a barbecue pitmaster.

Comment

I would run a search in the little box above for the word Shawsh. Huskee has different ones that you might use as a basis for finding one and modify it. Maybe there is one there your person would like. Who knows, they might like dry rubs only if they tried them.

Comment

Maybe an Asian sauce, like Hoisin, maybe cut with soy or teriyaki if it's too sweet straight

Comment

The idea of a non vinegar base got me interested in this post because I’m a borne and bred Eastern North Carolinian so I consider vinegar a basic part of my entire diet. I did find this post which if you used mustard powder instead of mustard would have no vinegar. https://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes....bbq-sauce.html

Comment

Salt an pepper mixed with rendered beef fat...oh wait, that bark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmagic View Post
              Howdy Everyone, I need your help. I'm looking for a BBQ sauce recipe that is not vinegar based and only slightly sweet. I know that opens the door to endless possibilities.

In the past, my sauces are either sweeter for that thick candied effect at the end of cooking or vinegar based. I have someone who wants neither. But they still want the kind of sauce that is still a little thick on the meat. Maybe some of you might know. I'm at a loss.

I could google it but why should I when I can rely on the pro here. Thanks a million.
              That is a good question...all orginal BBQ sauce i grew up with was vingar ,apple cider in fact,some sugar,salt and cayenne,black pepper,....many a whole hog cooked with somethimg along that line....along the way the real sweet sauce hit the tour...probley via Myron Mixion and it has changed for ever...most of them are time consuming to make ...i do do it only for my kids and family ...otherwise i use Big Bob Gibson Champship sauce, as a base...and at times right out the bottle i do heat it up.....i tried useing apple juice one time...way to sweet....
              . I am doing a pork butt today in a peach bath i made, curious to see how it turns out...
              . I inject almost everything, brine all poultry,will not cook a frozen bird ..no way will i thaw it out to cook waist of time ...

Comment

This may sound a bit obvious, but have you tried a mildly sweet recipe then add vinegar in small amounts to offset? I'm not a sweet sauce guy at all but do like a sweetness note to avoid the pucker factor of the vinegar. I also add heat by introducing a sambal sauce. The bite of the sauce again helps offset the sweetness. If you achieve a balance by keeping that in mind, you might get to where you want to be. Just a thought.

Comment

Well your in something of a pickle. Every BBQ sauce from Carolina to KC has vinegar. Then sweeteners are added to tone it down. I highly suggest you get Paul Kirk's "Champion Barbeque Sauces" as it will not only teach you how to make your own sauce but also has numerous recipes for sauces, marinades and rubs. I found mine on Amazon.

Comment

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like a great book, in my Amazon cart now. Interesting that all of the hardcover versions are $160 and up.

Do you mean that you want no vinegar whatsoever, or that it shouldn't be prominent? Texas style BBQ sauce such as Stubb's might be acceptable, it is less sweet and the vinegar is not as strong as BBQ sauces from other regions.

Otherwise you might want to try something like a tomato-based (instead of ketchup if you want zero vinegar) meatloaf sauce modified to your friend's tastes. Maybe use a little hot sauce or horseradish in it. You will get a little sweetness from the tomato sauce but not a lot.

This is Kent Rollins' Hot Honey Meatloaf Sauce:

Honey Hot Sauce

1⁄2 cup ketchup
                  2 tablespoons honey
                  1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce
                  1 teaspoon prepared horseradish

Just substitute the ketchup with tomato sauce/paste and maybe cut back on the honey, but some honey will help with balancing the spice.
                  Last edited by 58limited; August 25, 2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The ketchup, hot sauce, and prepared horseradish are based on vinegar.

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, that is why I suggested replacing the ketchup with tomato sauce. Don't really taste the vinegar in the horseradish. And you can sub some pureed peppers for the hot sauce or deal with that small amount of vinegar as well.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here