Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just came across this artical and thought y'all might be interested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just came across this artical and thought y'all might be interested

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...cid=spartanntp

Agree, disagree or comment.

I agree mostly.

Comment

Pretty good broad brush article, I think they got it mostly right as well. I think bbq continues to grow and regions that traditionally had certain styles or didn't have any at all are now starting to embrace all styles. Although it true in Texas that beef is king, there's plenty of pulled pork, whole hog and pork ribs being cooked down here. It's just not popular restaurant fare like it is in say the Carolinas, and vise versa for that matter.

Good barbecue is good, period. I don't care where it's made.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol texastweeter Troutman I've always wanted to comment, but refrained. As if any other person, say from MI for instance, can't make good BBQ by doing the exact things Texans do. Lol.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd love to try some MI bbq. In fact let's head for the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, pull a big honkin' offset up there, and smoke some meat !! That will do two things, it will prove good bbq can be cooked anywhere, and it will control the mosquitoes at the same time !!!!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman, would be awesome. Closest I've come is took my Weber Joe to the park at the base of the bridge in Mackinaw City.

Pretty interesting, but like the Troutman said, pretty broad. I need to get to Texas though - I was in Waco a few years ago and had some steaks but didn't look for any Q.

Comment

I pretty much agree with the Texas and Memphis discussion. But like most everything else they write about, USA Today has managed to oversimplify things. Also, lamb and mutton aren't quite the same thing, but the article keeps referring to mutton as lamb.

Comment

Guess I fell for the Memphis dry-rub myth.

Comment

No mention of Chicago?

Comment

As I lament from a Canadian point of view, at least you guys have options, best thing Canada is know for is Tim Hortons
              Donuts and I'll eat roadkill first.
              I am lucky to have family in Texas so my BBQing is tilted in that direction.
              The only caveat is the beef is king thing, cost of beef is usually to much to justify so my smoking is in the pork/chicken direction.
              You typically get so much more for your buck pork verses beef....sigh....

Comment

This explains it all!

Comment

It’s a good enough article, for click bait. "We need to fill some column space in the Lifestyle section. It’s July, write us something about barbeque."

He didn’t give anything new, but he also didn’t write anything to argue about, either.

Comment

This is a never ending debate. Of the places I have been in Texas over the years in Dallas, Lockhart and Austin; I would say my favorite is Blacks in Lockhart or La Barbeque in Austin. (That is over Franklin) Although the Hot Guts at Kreuz's is awesome and the whole experience in that building is more than worth the stop. It is probably my favorite BBQ spot to visit.
                    I go to Kansas City fairly regularly for work and I have been to many of the famous spots. I would say that Q39 or Gates is my favorite. Although I LOVE Arthur Bryants and LC's for the atmosphere. Joe's is awesome too, but they are running Southern Pride Smokers, which are great rigs but I really don't see anything special about their flavor profile as many Que places around the country are using them.

I can't speak to those other cities, but I would love to try them.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      spot on, but Mueller is my #1, even before Black's.

Though I seem to come across one of these articles every few months anymore, its usually interesting to see what these writers think. Random immediate thoughts:
                    • Apparently I too fell for the Memphis = dry rub only thing
                    • I'm not sure why he stated that eastern carolina style has "fallen out of vogue and is becoming harder to find", its darn near everywhere I turn around from the Piedmont region to the coast
                    • It seems a bit lazy to not even mention the Lexington/Western carolina style, particularly if he's stating that the eastern style is falling out of favor
                    • I do agree with him on the mustard style, its my favorite carolina style bbq sauce
                    • Worcestershire based sauce..... woooooah nellie, what are they doing out there in Kentucky, and where can I get some of that!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here