Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook books for meat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook books for meat.

Richard Chrz start this topic for Beer and I thought I would start one for meat. Let's get your brain's going and some controversy going.

!. Meatheads
    2. Charbroil Great Book of Grilling
    3. Weber it has several books on grilling and smoking
    4. Steven Raichlen a Cordon Blue trained cook has several books his latest on Brisket.
    5. Paul Kirk's Barbeque Sauces, it will teach you how to make your own sauce
    6. Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design, Stanley, Adam and Robert Marianski
    7. Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing, Rytek Kutas
    8. Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game, John J. Mettler JR. DVM

Well that is my start off. Let's see what you can add.

Maybe not on the controversy. How about opinions that help people learn some new things

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      OKAY that is good by me!

Pat la Freida’s Meat
    Rahm Fama’s The Meat and Potatoes Cookbook
    Holzman, Chernow, & Dean’s The Meatball Shop Cookbook

Comment

I'm a fan of America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, and
      Operation BBQ Relief's BBQ book Operation BBQ. Great stuff in both.

Comment

The Food Lab. Not so much about the meat itself, but the experiments behind how to optimize cookery.

Comment

A couple of Raichlen’s books straightened me out & sent me grillin instead of charring & crematin. Ultimately to Myron Mixon in 2012 & his Smokin, then his Everyday Barbeque. I was fired up & then found AR.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep MM is a good one. Forgot I had that buried in my pile.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Raichlen's recipes + Meathead's food science = my fav

Smoke and Spice, a true classic.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to laugh when I saw you name this one. I don't have it any more as our house burned down 6 years ago but my rub is still based on there one published in Bon Appetit back in the late 80's. Thank you for reminding me of it. I will get on Amazon and try to find it.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 1, 2019, 11:42 PM.

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear about your home. That sucks!

How about Henrik 's Barbecue: Fire and Smoke? I’ll also second the endorsement of the classic Smoke and Spice. Excellent.

Comment

All of them. If you have a library card, there is an app called "overdrive" which you can use to read ebooks for free. I read all I can.

Comment

In no particular order here are a few I have enjoyed over the years:

Franklin Barbecue: A Meat Smoking Manifesto by Aaron Franklin
              Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling - Meathead
              Cool Smoke by Tuffy Stone
              Whole Hog BBQ: The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue - Sam Jones and Daniel Vaughn
              Charcuterie - Dalton Ruhlman
              Meat - Pat LaFrieda
              Steak: One Man's Search for the Tastiest Piece of Beef - Mark Schatzker
              Craft Beef: A Revolution of Small Farms and Big Flavors - Joe Heitzeberg, Ethan Lowry, Caroline Saunders (kind of a big, long commercial for Crowd Cow but good nontheless)
              Food Lab - Kenji
              Brave Tart - Stella Parks (my favorite dessert cookbook)

Comment

If I had to pick one Raichlen, it'd be How To Grill.
                I am very fond of Bruce Aidell's The Complete Meat Book (even though some of the recipes are a bit sloppily written). Bruce's take on what cuts for what uses, how to evaluate what you're seeing at the market, and so on... very useful.

Not specific to meat, but Good Eats by Alton Brown, Food Lab by JKLA, Ratio by Ruhlman, On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee... The Joy of Cooking... lotta good books.

Comment

The Food Lab and The Joy of Cookingare really the only books I use.

(Meathead's book is basically in E-form on the site, so I don't count that one.)

Comment

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good save!

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You beat me to The Joy.

I started my culinary library with The Barbecue! Bible, by Raichlen, 10-15 years ago. It really upped my game with interesting new recipes, but I still cringe any time I see an episode of Project Smoke or such, where he never uses a meat thermometer, and just cooks by "feel" (press the meat and see how it springs back to check doneness!). I think a good digital thermometer did more for my cooking than anything other than Amazing Ribs!

Over the weekend I picked up a book called "The Cast-Iron Cookbook" for a whopping $3.99 on clearance at a place called Ollies. It's all recipes prepared in a 12" cast iron skillet, which intrigued me. Don't know how it ranks among cast iron cookbooks, but for the price, it seemed like a deal.

All that said, since I found Amazing Ribs I seem to have less need for actual books!

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here