Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought worthy of a read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought worthy of a read...

on home smoking by pro's. I will get one of those bound "lab books" for notes, my paper notes are a total mess!

I use Google Keep for my notes. It's free, cloud-based, and searchable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xnKCaLi.png
Views:	139
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	689837

Comment

Cool! I did this long ago, scanned all my recipes into MS Word, in the kitchen 'drawer', in recipe in word add page 1, binder 1... etc. Then save, use Windows search type in Keyword, like "potato" all those recipes come up. Go to binder #4 pg 37. Placing recipe in page protector, pull it out cook, replace Digital kitchen drawer recipe retrieval.

I like that google thing you do!

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I still have binders with recipes in them but I never created a good retrieval system as you did so it's always hard to find recipes. That's why an electronic system is great. I used to use Evernote but switched. I have sections for cook logs, recipes, drink recipes, shopping lists, and dinner plans. It's nice to formulate a recipe or shopping list on the computer and then access it on the phone once you're at the grill or in the supermarket.

Cool! My situation was an overflowing drawer, with recipes from newspapers, magazines yada yada. My goal was get back the drawer, & organize for easy access to the recipes.

Scanned into MS Word then page numbered in Word, makes it searchable, by keyword. Kind of a pain, scanning, numbering saving, does not have to be done in one session, but payoff is great

Comment

I keep a hand written journal. I jot down around the edges of the page things like the weather, what I or my wife and I are experiencing during that time, social events, what my children are up to, etc. my kids know that I love cooking and someday, when I’m probably gone, they’ll have a cheer, a laugh and maybe a tear over the memories and recipes jotted down in my BBQ journal.

Comment

I don’t keep a log. I tend to cook the same things over and over, and when I cook something new, I google, pick up ideas, and lump them together. I tend to re-google the same sites.

AND, posting cooks here acts as a reference. When I re-make Instant Pot short ribs, I look for the post I made here and duplicate the pictures I took.

Comment

I use Evernote

Comment

TripleB Just a little North of Pasadena on the 210! I as well like, the handwritten log!

Other points were informative as well, like don't go overboard, on rubs & flavor, allow the meat to shin/speak. Yada yada.

Also cool, pro's off the top of their heads, one comment, that has to be very meaningful, for them.

Comment

I remember everything, sometimes. When I don’t then I look it up on AR or a book, then I remember. 🕶

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Usedta be called CRS, nowadays, it's jus Offsite Storage / external HDD...
                  Yer usin th cloud, to augment yer thinkin cap, iow.
                  I do it alla th time; my reckonin is that th older we git, th fuller our brains are...
                  Kinda like th overflow botttle, hooked to yer cars radiator, is how it works...

I have everything committed to memory....no wonder things never work out....

Comment

Yeah, smokin fool , I’m always committed to.

Comment

Keeping notes definitely helps you learn faster. Doesn’t matter if they’re paper, digital, or chiseled in stone...do what works best for you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here