Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liquid Smoke Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid Smoke Thoughts

Since I got into this BBQ life a few years ago, all I've heard is what a travesty the use of liquid smoke in BBQ sauce is. Well I just went with the crowd on that opinion and never really thought about why "we" hate the stuff.

This weekend I went to a cooking class and really liked the sauce they put on their chicken wings, so I bought a couple of bottles. Suddenly, it dawned on me that one of the flavors I liked so much HAD to be liquid smoke, so I checked the label and, yup, there it was.

I'm as big a BBQ snob as anybody, but other than it being "fake" I don't think I really have a reason to disparage LS anymore. Just had to put that out there.

I got nuthin against it.

Jus another ingredient, another tool in th toolbox, another colour in my palette...

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Another spoke in your wheel.

We had a pretty fun thread about this very topic some time ago. My Dad tortured us with that stuff when we were kids so I have mixed feelings, and a dusty old bottle in our pantry.

Comment

It's a personal preference - as is all food! For me...the only smoke I like on my food is from a live wood fire (see my profile picture). I'm not a fan of liquid smoke, or even smoked spices (kills me that Costco only carries smoked paprika). But I'll never tell anyone they shouldn't use it.

Comment

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        What Costco are you going to? The one in Ontario doesn't carry smoked paprika! I was there 2 weeks ago.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Foehn Watts Temecula, CA has carried smoked paprika for years!

I've never used it probably never will like Santamarina I prefer the live fire smoke.

Comment

I use it sometimes in marinades when I'm going to dehydrate something

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I use it for as well when making jerky.

I have made pressure-cooked pintos that my sister SWORE had ham in them. 'Make 'em with pintos, water, onions, garlic, a little oil and a very sparing amount of Wright's Liquid smoke.

Best advice on liquid smoke: it is a seasoning, use less rather than more. You can always add more, but you can't take too much out. My mother used to love to pour it on top of pan-fried burgers, which can be overwhelming. I still like a few drops on pan-fried burgers, but just a couple of drops.

Comment

If you are going to talk about liquid smoke, powdered smoke should be included. I had a bottle of liquid smoke from when I first really started the BBQ things back in 2006. I just found it the other day all dried up. But it got me thinking. I was lead to believe that it is fake smoke. But I thing I saw Alton Brown make liquid smoke and I realized that it wasn't. This past week I purchased hickory smoked salt and hickory smoke powder. I thing the salt was really just hickory powder add. There were some recipes that I felt would get valued flavor add if there was a slight hint of smoke. Some of the recipes would have to be deconstructed/modified in order to add that smoke flavor with live fire. Adding a smoked salt or even powder would eliminate the time and effort if I used live fire. Unfortunately, I now find that the hickory smoke is extremely strong. So, I am looking to make my own oak salt via live fire. I now see that, as Mr. Bones stated, its just another tool in the toolbox.

Comment

It's not bad when mixed with vodka.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              bardsleyque Sooo true. But also a lot of bad things happen with vodka as well. 👊

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B Vodka's jus same same as Liquid Smoke; jus use a wee lil dab, or it can git ugly, fast!

• Foehn Watts
              Foehn Watts commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, mebbe I will try a drop or two in my Guzano Rojo mezcal. I used to love this stuff, but the most recent bottles I got for a past Christmas had no smokey flavor like the previous ones. Mebbe just a drop or two at my next family gathering.
              Last edited by Foehn Watts; May 23, 2019, 06:37 PM.

I like it in certain recipes, and I have no clue if this works but on shorter higher temp cooks I put a few dashes into hot water in a small foil container. I don't know that you can taste it on the food, but you can smell it and smell leads to taste perception or something?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here